Accidentally acquired rabbits

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oops. We stopped by the feed store today to visit the adorable kittens, and DH wanted bunnies! (He also wanted ducks! and quail!) I was lucky to escape with just these:

110521_5217 by wsmoak, on Flickr

Now I have to figure out how to keep them alive and whether I've got a breeding pair or not.

We were talking offhand about meat rabbits, but this was really not well planned. They're sort of cute. I'm calling them Frying Pan and Stew Pot.

At least they will make some garden fertilizer in the mean time. ;)

-Wendy

confuzzled

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Head on over to the sister site, Backyardherds (there's a link at the bottom of the page). They have a lot of great info on rabbits!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
They sure our cute, any rabbit you can eat so you are off to a good start.
I named our NZ buck Stewart I told my wife it was short for stew LOL.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cute rabbits!,wsmoak Yeah if their a mating pair be prepared for more! :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd guess them at about 3 months old. If they are a buck and doe she may alreay be bred. that's too young but if they are minirex or another small breed you may get away with it. Remember rabbits only take 28 days to produce young so you'd better start reading up on them. Most libraries have books on rabbits. Get a copy of "Storys Guide to Raising Rabbits" if you can. It's a great book for first timers.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Hoodat. I think we got them separated early enough -- we're pretty sure the black one is a female and she's younger than the brown one, who is almost certainly male. They are not all that happy about being turned upside down and examined!

They now have a bunny pavilion with a roof and separate cages. Other than being One More Thing to remember to feed and water they are fairly low maintenance. I already get orchardgrass/alfalfa hay for my horse, so they get the leftovers from that, and some rabbit pellets (which I suspect are mostly alfalfa anyway!) plus lettuce, carrots, etc. from the kitchen.

-Wendy

Latest posts