~ ACHOCHA ~ Have any of you grown this ?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd never heard of it but checking down their list I had to laugh at this one.

'The Exploding Cucumber'

The Fat Baby have always been a great hit both with us and everyone who has tried them. So we were intrigued to find that they have close relative known as the Exploding Cucumber, whose Latin name is - quite aptly - "Cyclanthera explodens". We've been after these for ages and ages - and finally managed to get hold of some seed last year, and they are now growing well outdoors and in the polytunnel.

Anyways, these grow similarly to the Achocha - a tendrilly climbing vine . The fruit are similar, except having an even weirder shape, and when mature, they burst open at the slightest touch, flinging their seeds out across the garden!

kremond

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm originally from Peru, over there you get them at the supermarket year round, use them in salads (raw) or add them to stews, or stuff them with meat and bake them. I'll check my notebook and send you a recipe for the "stuffed caigua".
Regarding growing it.....never really tried to grow them back home, they are cheap, very fresh (no imported vegetables where I grew up.....), but I want to try now. I'll let you know if I find any information.

Latest posts