Actual flower or weed?? pictures...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have this plant growing in a bed that I "acquired" care of at the farm where I work...at first I thought it was a real flower, but now that it's blooming, I"m not so sure, it kind of has a "thistle-y" type flower, but it's not pokey or spiny... what do you think?

8229_img_0535.jpg

8229_img_0536.jpg

8229_img_0537.jpg

And just for fun, here's an overview of the bed and some of the main barn. I just re-worked the bed about a month ago, and brought in a bunch of new plants, so it will be more filled in by next year.
8229_img_0538.jpg

8229_img_0539.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, love, love the barn!! What a lovely view with the garden bed in the foreground! Just beautiful. There are ball thistles that are considered "flowers"- as long as it is not spiny- I would keep it. The bees love the thistle type plants. Happy Gardening!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think it looks like a weed to me, its rather pretty. I would keep it in the flower bed. I must say though you have a very beautiful property there, the barn is a very nice touch. :thumbsup Great job!!
I wish I had some property like that.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish i had some property like that too! I just work here, but it's a pretty great gig, i'll admit. I take care of 22 horses, all retired/rescued, and mow, and garden, and various other things. Not even any HEAVY work, there's a guy for that - i don't even move hay or bags of oats or anything!! I got care of this bed because the Actual Gardener, ya know, the full time lady that takes care of GAZILLIONS of beds at the Main House doesn't have enough time! Ok with me!

I'll look tomorrow at the undersides...the plant looks exactly right, as does the dry, seedy part...but ive never seen the bloom more open than in the picture i took. Not like the University pictures.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good one Steve, I was thinking that flower looked awfully familiar, and then as I was working today it struck me, well duh! it's only like the centaurea montana I have everywhere! The c. montanas leaves have smooth margins though, but it's obviously a relative :) .

Sounds like you have the perfect job Heather!
If somebody would throw a few horses into mine, mine would be perfect too ;) .

Nicely done bed too!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohyeah, so that's definitely it. And i realized why my blooms did not look like the opened up ones on the ID pic... I keep pinching them off because i didnt want it to go to seed before i figured out what it was!! Better safe than sorry! Now i'll let it bloom a little longer :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a real flower-goldfinch love the seed. It spreads, but not too aggressively-the name eludes -I will search the older brain cells.