Adoption alternative

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 16 May chicks are doing well and beginning to run together as a flock. They are slowly ranging further and further from their home in the garden shed. My rooster, Thing 1, and his flock of 6 hens are definitely NOT accepting the little ones or letting them come near.

What I have been surprised to see is the little girls making up to my second roo, Nesco, and trying to get into HIS good graces. They have begun following him around to the point I see a bit of Nesco's attention going to these little ones.

Once I get the second coop built, I see Nesco returning to the top rooster position in his own flock. It may just be my imagination, but he seems to puff up and walk a bit taller when the pullets are around. I have caught him pulling up grasses and tossing them on the ground near the babies with "the-Rooster-found-food" song. After his solid defeat to Thing 1 last fall, it is good to see him getting some confidence back in his strut.

Could my chicks be adopting Nesco as theirs?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rejected and ignored by Thing 1 and his harem, the chicks found another hero. Good for them and good for Nesco.

Latest posts