Adventures in Canning (blackberry jelly)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, the verdict is in. I did make another batch, being very careful to measure the correct amount of sugar. I was right. I added too much sugar the first time.

The second batch didn't boil over the pot. It also didn't taste as sweet and had more of a blackberry flavor. The first batch is ALL GONE. The only part I got to keep for myself was the partial pint that I kept in the refrigerator. I gave the other five jars away. And everyone LOVED it. Best blackberry jelly they ever had. And have been hinting around about "Hey, you planning on making any more of that jelly?" LOL

I'm glad it was a hit. I may make it with too much sugar next time, too. But I think I will try 5 cups instead of 5 1/2. See if I can get it just right.

Cassandra

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, you can make it more blackberry-ie for yourself, and then make sugar-rush specials for giving away. You might suggest on the label that it be eaten with their first cups of morning coffee, for maximum effectiveness! :D

Seriously, I'm glad that people liked them, and that you also know, now, how to make it the regular way! :)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been scouting around my "neighborhood" for a good place to pick our wild blackberries when they get ripe. I want someplace not too far from home and easy for this disabled woman to actually get to, with a little assistance. I put neighborhood in quotes because I live along a major highway to the coast, not really in a town, although we do have a little post office of our own attached to the back of the a little store/gas station down the highway about 5 miles that has been there for at least 60 years. My ideal place for blackberry picking would be close to water, not a problem here, but NOT close to the cow pastures, major problem. I've gotta get them before the cows do.