Advice for Clay Soils

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My whole yard is clay.
I'm working on a new bed (actually heheee I have to college students doing the work for me as I type)

Going to do a lasagna-type thing and see how it looks next spring.

Thanks for the notation about NOT using sand!

Also, re: composting: Can you compost your dog's fur? My dog is shedding like crazy this year!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've heard that spent hops are good for clay. Not sure why. If you have a local brewery, they may agree to supply you with some.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mirime -- yes, fur, hair, and feathers are fine to compost.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We live in eastern Colorado and I know what western clay soil is like. we use lots of homemade compost and a soil conditioner with humic acid. Humates will help alot to break up the soil particles and get water and plant roots deeper. While clay is often very fertile because of th low microbial activity inherent with clay soils the nutrients are often not readilly available. Humic acid will help facilitate the decomposition of those nutrients so they are available to the plants in that soil. Good Luck!!!:D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have Clay like no tomorrow. Its all red and hard and perfect if you were a potter. I usually break up and turn the soil as much as possible. remove several inches from the top and turn in some pea gravel and then some good compost and soil. They call it Lome (sp) here, but its $35 a truck load and it fills in great. Long as I get the drainage issue taken care of we're good.

I was introduced to plant tone, which I sprinkle in my garden now every 2 month before giving a good water. So far everything is growing like weeds. I'm hoping this will work when I try to plant bulbs this fall.