Advice request

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know, I know. I said that I'm not a flowers-kind-of-guy but y'all have coerced :/ me into planting some flowers for next spring.

We're upgrading the area around this little porch with new grass (see the straw?) and this is where I would like to grow some perennial flowers. Since I'm not a big flowers person I think perennials is the way to go. As you can see in the pix I have turned over some soil in preparation for a flower garden. This is a small porch in the rear of our house and it typically gets full sun throughout the growing season. The area that is getting ready is 2.5' W x 16' L.

For several years now I have contemplated building a brick planter there about 24" deep. The planter was, in my mind, a deterrent for the dogs that love to blast out the door and run into the yard making the grass a mess and unsightly. Especially when the soil is wet. Then I considered some type of hedge along the edge of the porch for the same reasons. Now I'm considering flowers.

Can you guys make recommendations for flower selection? I'm wanting something that is 18" to 24" tall. And, as always, I must consider my little honey making machines, so pollen and nectar are important.

Whatcha think? Thanks.

1-GEDC0925.jpg

2-GEDC0926.jpg

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I LOVE flowers!! You might try some 4'0 Clocks, they come back each year. There are lots of flowers that come back each year, either from reseeding or from tubers. Irises, Day Lilies, etc. Go to your local nursery and see what they have for your area. And put in a few vegetables to go with the flowers, or do edible flowers those are fun!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since you mention wanting nectar for the bees, how about planting some natives for your area. Cone flower, butterfly weed, bee balm, skull cap and other herbs seem to be favorites with the bees and they all require minimal care. I'm trying to think of others, but my brain is mush today. :p

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yarrow, penstemon, lavender,shasta daisies, black eye susans. I'm concerned that the dogs might still dash right through that bed. You may have to put some wire or something in front of it.

Mary

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I second coneflower and bee balm. Bachelors buttons also seem to draw a lot of bees for me. They also loved my delphinium, but those aren't quite as easy to grow as the others.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
All great selections! If you like oregano- my bees go crazy for that flower. They also love borage. I think building some kind of strong raised bed is the answer for the crazy dogs! If you want some additional shade on your porch area, you could build (or buy) some kind of trellis and plant something that climbs. Morning glories, trumpet vine, etc. I think that garden will really give you a lot of appeal in that area of your home. I don't think you will be sorry! Good luck and keep us posted!

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Certain varieties of daylilies are sweetly scented and they have drawn honey bees in my flower beds. The dwarf Stella d'Oro is a pretty yellow daylily that has abundant blooms, yet does not require much attention at all. They return year after year, and only need divided every 4th-5th year here.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
They have given good flower suggestions. I have some tall plox, Autumn sedum, bee balm and coneflower that do welll in the sun and come back every year. But the Dog will not stay out of the flower bed. You will still have to put up some type of deterant or they will run through in and lay in it and pee in it, etc.... DOGS!!!! :barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have some good ideas from gardeners who love perennials. I have most of these plants and can attest to their value. Smiles, since you are asking for suggestions maybe you will consider this one that isn't quite what you are asking for.

Annuals. If one has the opportunity to start plants, I can think of few reasons not to start annual flowers. Perennial plants become neighbors, too often, to those hard-to-deal-with perennial weeds.

Most perennials have very little beauty during the winter months. Usually, the best you can do for them is cut them down near the soil surface & throw some mulch over them. I think it would be hard to argue that most perennial beds in winter look better than a bed with no plants at all.

What value you have with perennials are robust plants that come back strong with early blooms in the spring. Some put on a show and then amount to very little thru the remainder of the season. Still, they can be like old friends - showing up each year and benefiting from the years of attention you can provide for them.

Annuals run a little later with their show but with a little pinching & clean-up, can bloom repeatedly thru the growing season. Most won't give you weeks where you are just looking at foliage, the blooms only a memory. Annuals just keep filling the landscape with color.

Here is another group: the biennials. You would benefit from giving them a nursery bed somewhere. I often have a bed for the biennials in the veggie garden by late summer. I'm talking about things like Sweet Williams and Canterbury Bells. Started from seed and held over in their winter bed, by spring, the biennials are all set to be moved into their summer blooming locations.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Probably the best of both worlds is to mix perennials, annuals, and bulbs. This would extend your blooming season.

Mary