AeroGarden good or bad and why

pax12

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
AeroGarden good or bad and why

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I've never really used the product myself but essentially it's a more aesthetically pleasing hydroponics system that you could set up yourself and probably for less money.

From what I can see, if you want to grow herbs or even some veggies indoors all year around because the weather or space confines you from doing so outside and you aren't inclined to build a hydroponics system yourself then this is probably a good product for you.

Seed pods only can come from the manufacturer so you have to keep buying every year from them. Unless you figure out a way to rig your own. The same is true for the nutrient packet. I'm assuming that they don't have a huge selection of seeds so the varieties may be limited.

I did find a very detailed product review here that you can read.

Overall I think the unit is a bit pricey and essentially you can make a set up for much cheaper. Think about a bunch of pots (true you have to have soil) underneath a shop light sitting on a bookshelf. You water and feed regularly and you got the same thing for under 50 bucks. If you want to spend a few more dollars you can even make it look real pretty like by paint a shelf around the pots and spray painting the shop light.

JMO

Good luck.

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok is there an update to the aerogarden? I want one and I do not have the space for a indoor greenhouse or hydro system. I seen people with pods compatible for the aerogarden. I made my own indoor grow light for my veggies but thats only for starting them in spring. What do y'all think? They are pretty cheap on ebay (As low as $50.00)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All you need are some clamp lights ($7 each) with the highest watt CFL bulb you can find and some self watering pots. That's what I used to keep a basil plant alive all winter along with a chilitepin hot pepper plant. It's also what I use to start my seedlings indoors in Jan/Feb. None of them got leggy. I even had a ground cherry setting fruit under a clamp light.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You may also have to get a 100w equivalent from your local Walmart. The key to growing indoors is the amount of lumens a light puts out. A plant needs 2000 minimum. If you can't get that amount from one bulb, you add another or put the plant and a window sill along with the bulb. Also be sure to get a timer. Makes it easier to set the right amount of light.

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I got 2 6500K bulbs plus a 48 hour timer. I have the timer set for 16 hours of light then 8 hours of darkness. I dont want to start the seeds till January. That way when spring rolls around they will be ready for the ground. The biggest pest I get is "damp off". stupid fungus kills all my plants. I dont over water. I use a spray bottle with light mist.

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My mother bought me one for christmas. I have a love/hate relationship with it though. When I first got it things were great till the fertilizer tabs grains got into the pump area. So I turned it off cuz I was mad and let everything die. So then I cleaned it out and tested it to see if it stopped that aweful grinding noise. It had stopped I went to my local hydroponic store and got liquid fert. and wallah I have new herbs in where the old ones died. And a propigation of a bananna pepper that my sons football crushed. And I put some tomato seeds I started near the light and they did great. Those tomatoes are 5 ft. now and giving me yummy tomatoes. So now I love it again, but I have to order new pods because these have to go into the ground now.:rolleyes:

P.S. They have a great starter tray I may get. Goto thier website and see.

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok well I sold my xbox 360 for $90.00 on ebay. After the Final Value Fees I get $80 out of it. I also have $15.00 in cash. I have to wait till tomorrow to figure out shipping charges for the 360 and the guy is going to pay me on friday. I found someone local with a 7 pod aerogarden for $30.00 on craigslist. Think its a good deal?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To solve your dapening issue, make sure you have a fan of some sort in your growing area. I had that problem last year but it did go away after I got the fan on the plants.

Latest posts