Affordable stone for patio?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you check with the landlord and see if he's willing to go halfs with you on the materials? Or maybe paying someone $50 to help you install any materials that you can find for free. You might mention to him/her that it would add value or interest to their property next time they have to rent it. Just an idea.

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't take credit- everything I know I learned from pinterest! But I really love the idea- and can't wait to try it. When you mix the sizes up, it comes out like a really neat mosaic. Add a little moss or creeping thyme in between- Perfection!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
1iora said:
Hi guys! My yard is getting very weedy, and you know my neighbor is going to comment, and I want to sit out there and grill anyway... so I need to put in a patio.

I think I'm going to do 90sq ft. We have a hand-me-down iron table, and I'm not sure how large it is, but it's going to have to fit. I'm planning to save some money by doing stepping stones from the door to the table-area and then from the table-area to the gate. I may also save money by doing 3" gaps between the stones in the table-area and filling them with creeping thyme (or something else if it doesn't do well in my shady, semi-soggy yard).

But everything is SO expensive. This is a rental, so I won't get any of the value I put into it back. Even the ugliest cement pavers are 1.50 a sq ft. Are there any creative ideas out there? I want this to be an easy project- I'm planning on just tossing the stones over top of the dirt. In addition to wanting something easy, I don't want to use gravel. Weeds, squirrels, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas?? I found a good deal for flagstone, at $2.50 a sq ft (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mat/2897944325.html) but I'd have to drive an hour to get it, and it's still more than we wanted to spend.

Should we bite the bullet and get the flagstone, or can we do something else?
Check out Craigs list . Often people are giving away their old pavers and the like.

1iora

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Guys!

Check it.

IMG_0793.jpg

Yesterday some guy posted a picture on craigslist, with 'free first come first served' of a pile of rocks. Flagstone. Best deal ever. I emailed him and got the address and then I convinced my boyfriend to go over there after work. The rocks were still there! My boyfriend, who is usually reluctant to act, called up a coworker, then stood guard until said coworker drove over with his truck and helped him load them in. All this while I was in class! Then they came home and I helped them unload and fed them leftovers (that's standard, right? If someone helps you with manual labor you feed them? I think my boyfriend is also reimbursing him for gas/taking him out to lunch today).

So yeah! there are a lot of those awesome flat ones, which I'm just going to throw on the surface. And a few thicker ones with one-lumpy side, which we'll have to dig out for. We're going to use the square ones for the table/chair area, since we don't want it to be difficult to push out chairs and that sort of thing, then we'll do a traditional flagstone pattern radiating out from there with the remaining stones. The smallest stones I'm going to use for stepping stones to the gate, and possibly a few in front of my raised bed, where it's muddy.

Also, see the portion of the yard that is sunny in this picture? The weeds there are 6+ inches higher than the weeds in the rest of the yard. Sun does amazing things!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perfect!!!! That looks fabulous- and you gotta love the price! I see you spending many enjoyable hours out there!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
1iora said:
Guys!

Check it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h1mNV5SyVLs/T2x4vz4XMAI/AAAAAAAABqc/ItCTpCHJ6AQ/s640/IMG_0793.jpg

Yesterday some guy posted a picture on craigslist, with 'free first come first served' of a pile of rocks. Flagstone. Best deal ever. I emailed him and got the address and then I convinced my boyfriend to go over there after work. The rocks were still there! My boyfriend, who is usually reluctant to act, called up a coworker, then stood guard until said coworker drove over with his truck and helped him load them in. All this while I was in class! Then they came home and I helped them unload and fed them leftovers (that's standard, right? If someone helps you with manual labor you feed them? I think my boyfriend is also reimbursing him for gas/taking him out to lunch today).

So yeah! there are a lot of those awesome flat ones, which I'm just going to throw on the surface. And a few thicker ones with one-lumpy side, which we'll have to dig out for. We're going to use the square ones for the table/chair area, since we don't want it to be difficult to push out chairs and that sort of thing, then we'll do a traditional flagstone pattern radiating out from there with the remaining stones. The smallest stones I'm going to use for stepping stones to the gate, and possibly a few in front of my raised bed, where it's muddy.

Also, see the portion of the yard that is sunny in this picture? The weeds there are 6+ inches higher than the weeds in the rest of the yard. Sun does amazing things!
What a great deal! You will be able to do so much with those stone. And I have to say, I remember you asking about what to plant in your yard. I really think that you are going to have the best of both worlds. You can plant sun loving plants on one side and shade tollerant plants on the other! It is going to be beautiful for you. :D

Latest posts