Age of Seeds

KB3GZW

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What is the maximum age of seeds to be considered usable? I have a bunch from '05, but I doubt that they will be useable.

My first post by the way, Also a part of BackYard Chickens.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A lot depends on how the seeds were stored, as to the chance they will still germinate. Also some seeds have a better shelf life than others. I have planted some bean seeds that were 5-7 years old (scarlet runners). The rate of germination was still about 70%. I think the bigger seeds may last longer as they won't dry out as quick.

If they have been stored in a cool, dark, dry place, I would definitely plant seeds from 05. Just plant more than you normally would, as the germination rate may be lower. You can always thin them if they all sprout.

Some of my seed packages actually say, "seed storage life up to three years", but that is under optimal conditions I'm sure.

Good luck!:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll agree with what bills says.

Here's aseed viability table from Virginia Cooperative Extension. Also, there's information on soil temperature and emergence.

You don't need to "bet the farm" on old seed. Just be prepared to race down to the garden center and buy a few more packets if what you've planted doesn't come up. Use the "Days to Emergence" as a guide as to when to expect some signs of life.

Steve
:tools

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reasonable-sized seeds (like, not eensy dustlike ones) can be pre-sprouted between damp paper towels in a ziploc bag (google for directions, sorry, I'm too busy right now to write it all out). Place the seeds far enough apart on the paper towel that you can easily lift them off individually when sprouted. The ones that sprout, pot up and use; the ones that don't, oh well ;)

Good luck,

Pat

KB3GZW

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well I planted a bunch of corn along with other things. The corn seeds were from '05. That was two fridays ago and I have about 12/50 seeds sprouting. I bought another bag of seeds just in case, but if I dont use them a guy I work with will take them and put them to good use.

My brother just sprouted runner beans in december for a school project, that was pretty cool. We tested how long they took to get to a certain size and different temperatures. If I remember correctly the top of my refridgerator won out of there and in my basement and in the bathroom.

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think it depends on seed and storage. Me and my dad decided to plant a food plot for deer once. I bought a big bag of deer plot mix and we disked the area it was going in. My grand dad told us he had an abundance of old seeds he wanted to get rid of so we needed to use them in the food plot. These seeds ranged from a year old to over ten. After i broadcast the deer mix I broadcast the throwaway seed mix. I cannot guess the germination rate but it looked like an absolute vegetable jungle. My grand dads gardens did not get bothered as much that year because the deer had plenty to eat in the normally unused upper field. I never toss out old veggy seeds anymore I plant them in a clearing in the woods for wildlife as a decoy garden to save mine.

KB3GZW

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I keep checking everyday and I keep getting more and more. I also started muskmelon and green zebra tomatoes at the same time. None of them have sprouted yet, I guess this is testimonial to the seed size theory. Both of these were significantly smaller than the corn and they haven't sprouted yet.

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Territorial Seeds has a very nice catalog. At the beginning of each section there is a ton of information such as culture, insects/pests, and seed specs, which includes the approximate seed life. It is one of the most helpful seed catalogs I've seen. And it's free!

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
After all is said and done, i just toss the old seeds (more than ususal) in the pots and hop for the best. If they grow fine if not I do it again with fresh ones. I am surprised how often I get good planted from old seeds and that is a bonus.

:rose

Latest posts