Ahh!! My poor mums! What can I do?!

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My mums have done this to me:

cf17f0b5.jpg

afd15594.jpg

It snowed and ALL of them flopped over.

Is there anything I can do to save them? They are all on the ground. These photos were from today.

Thanks for any help!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
they may spring back...the snow did that to all of my shrubs and as the snow melts they are popping back up

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Will they still live? I've been taking the ones that are "snapped" or "broken" from the plant and using them in vases. Figure why waste them?

What do I need to do to keep them healthy during the winter? Do I need to prune them? I've been dead-heading them.

They were about 3 feet wide before the snow. :(

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
unfortunately the mums that everyone sells do not winter over well...I have used inverted baskets filled with leaves as a mulch and had a 50% servival rate..but usually I just compost them after they die back...

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
These had already made it over a winter. This is my first year with them, even though the previous homeowners had them, I just don't know what to do. I've never successfully had flowers...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to worry... If they have wintered over before, they will again. When the flowers all die, just cut them back. In the spring, you will see the leaves growing. Around June, go ahead and trim a couple inches off the plant ( that will stop them from getting leggy). Wait for fall, and you will see your beautiful mums again! If snow killed mums there wouldn't be a mum in NY state!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once you've had some consistent cold weather- you will know. All the stems above ground will be black- you can trim them right off. No crime in leaving them till spring either, if you don't get to it. When spring arrives, you will see the crown start growing again!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have any short fencing you can make little curved shapes and place in the ground near the root ball. When they dry out they may pop back up.

Latest posts