Alfalfa Cover Crop

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey, I had an open area in my garden this year :hide and I was thinking about sticking some alfalfa there for a cover crop, but I wasn't sure how exactly to go about it. Do you have any advice?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi there! I have only used cover crops during the fall/winter, but I don't see why you couldn't do it now... Buy some seed and sprinkle where you want it- works like a charm. I was astonished to see how fast my winter wheat came up. Give it a try- and let us know how it goes! Happy Gardening!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't let it get too tall before you turn it under. Alfalfa stems can get quite large and woody.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It depends what your main goals are.

Alfalfa's major virtue is that it is pretty deep-rooted. It is however also slow to get started, perennial, and pretty deep-rooted aka not the easiest to till/kill.

If you want a legume specifically, but don't need it especially deep-rooted, red clover or crimson clover might be arguably a better choice, as being less likely to be a pain in the butt and being a bit quicker to grow.

If you just want 'something', buckwheat is good PROVIDED you are careful to cut and till it BEFORE it flowers/seeds (this is true of all cover crops, but IME especially true of buckwheat). Annual ryegrass can also be useful, and is pretty quick-growing.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love that crimson clover. It has a short bloom period as clovers go but when it is in bloom it is a sight to behold. Bees love it too and right now they need all the help they can get.

Latest posts