All all Crabapples edible?

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a tree on my property, which I did not plant, that has been called by others, an "ornamental crabapple" tree. This year it is thick with marble sized red fruit. I was thinking from my childhood that crabapples typically were closer to golf ball size. Should I have any reluctance to process these small fruits into crabapple butter or jelly?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love crabapples I have about 10. The fruits are all diffent sizes, most are marble size but some trees are almost apple size. not sure if all are edible.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all crabapples are edible. Some of them however are bitter tasting when eaten raw. I used to breed crabapples!

In Butte Montana there was a section of town called Meaderville that got entirely removed from the face of the Earth by the mining company that dug a gigantic copper mine pit. Meaderville was famous for its Meaderville crabapple pie. I was not able to find anyone who knew the recipe, but I remember eating it as a little kid visiting relatives up there. It was much like any apple pie, the tiny crabapples peeled and diced. I'm pretty sure other apples such as golden delicious were added. The crust was super flaky. I'm pretty sure it was heavy on brown sugar, and maybe even maple syrup.

The crabapples you describe as golf ball sized are often Whitney crabapples, actually just a small regular apple. You seem to be describing the crabapple that is native to north america. Regular apples are native to eurasia. Another kind of crabapple is the Dolgo Crabapple. Those are in between if'n ya ask me. I believe Dolgos are native to Siberia. Crabapples native to america also come in a bright blushed yellow color, and some have red stems, some have red leaves, some have golden leaves, and one plant i started had silvery leaves.

Try tasting some at various stages of ripeness. It's ok to spit it out if too bitter. Some of the folks here may well know other recipes for them.

Short answer: Yes, should be edible, may be bitter, but there are recipes for them, things like jelly, pies, fritters...

or just let the wild birds eat them.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to sell weeping crabs in barely zone 4 montana when i lived up there. Yes, they are tough. Careful with that top graft. I used to "roll" the trees, especially that top graft before winter set in. Trying to remember the variety name...Was it "Ruby Weeping Crab"?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have made crabapple jam. It was very good. It was years ago, a friend had a crabapple tree and didn't want the fruit. The crabapples were very sour, but with sugar added, they made a delicious jam. I got a large wire strainer and a wooden mallet to smash the cooked crabapples with. Let's see.......it's coming back to me.......I cooked them in a big pot with enough water added to keep them from scorching on the bottom. When they were soft, I pressed them through the big wire strainer (think large tea strainer). Then I cooked them with sugar and added pectin. Sorry, it has been so long that I don't remember the measurements.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Heh, I didn't know any of them were edible. Learn something new every day I guess.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somewhere I think I read that they are very high in pectin, and can be mixed with other low pectin fruit for jams and jellies. This might be a hit or miss proposition, though, with measurements.