All is not lost

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, another inspection of last years attempt at a permanent herb garden revealed that there are a couple of survivors. The Oregano has survived. Everything else is definitely dead. On the bright side, all of the garlic varieties are up! Still haven't found that stupid map yet though :he

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you couldn't kill the oregano (mint family) if you tried. Sorry about the rest though!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garlic is growing, sage seems to be coming up under a mess of dead leaf litter, and the chives are peeking up. Those, and the strawberry plants are all that should be growing in the veggie garden. Tell that to the weeds that sprouted under the snow.

It's too early for asparagus to be popping up yet, but you can bet I'm watching closely for the first tasty spears.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garlic, sage, oregano, and thyme made it. Rosemary did not. The way that oregano is looking, I'll probably be dehydrating some of that next month.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know it's way too early here Red, but I was peaking under the winter canopy for fresh asparagus shoots today. It won't be long now! Face it, we're asparagus junkies :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sage, oregano, mint and yarrow survived. I saw a lonely garlic stem that I missed last year. Strawberries are getting ready to bloom. The wind has been so fierce here that if I disturb anything in the garden, the mulch/compost/dirt blows away. It is like this every spring, but I tend to forget. Frustrating to have 75 degree temps, but too windy to plant or dig, even.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I noticed a couple of strawberry blooms yesterday. I cleaned some grass and weed out of them and renewed the mulch. I only have a couple of fairly small beds. I built a frame with 1x6's and covered it with wire with openings small enough to keep the birds out. Works for chickens too. That keeps the mulch from blowing away too. Those frames are small enough I can just lift them off. They are small beds.

I understand on the mulch blowing away. I'll have a strong south wind from now until May. I normally use newspaper covered with wheat straw as mulch (not for strawberries, that's just wheat straw). I have some pieces of heavy wire I cut off of cattle panels when I made my frames for tomatoes. I've been known to lay those pieces of wire on the mulch to keep it from blowing away.

I planted a row of lilacs on the south side of the garden to eventually act as a wind break. They've been slow to grow but I'll get my first lilac flowers this year, provided the deer don't snack on them first.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Both my rosemary plants look pretty darn bleak, no signs of life at all. The tarragon did well, as did both the winter and summer variety's of savory that I grow. Sage never dies regardless of what winter throws at it..
Oregano is like a weed in my garden. I grow Italian, and Greek (my favorite) variety's. Every spring I'm pulling up young plants from all over the darn place. Lemon balm is another one that wants to take over.:rolleyes:
I have never had sweet marjoram, thyme, or basil survive a winter..what a bonus that would be!

TheArcane

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oregano is one of those herbs that is great for people new to gardening because they're almost impossible to kill. It's still a personal favorite for me.

Latest posts