All my chickens are gone

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a terrible thing! So sorry for your loss. I hate to think about life without chickens... Perhaps, you could build a "fortress" and start a new flock, next year??

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. I am always afraid that raccoons will get to my chickens. I'm like Lesa, build a secure coop and get some more chickens. I imagine it's too late to get some for this year? Over here, you can get chicks year round.

Mary

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the support, it really means alot. It was back last night as there were more tracks out there today. Thank goodness the rest of the girls weren't here! From looking at the tracks, I tend to agree with a number of people who say it is canine. In the new tracks I can see the claw prints and felines retract their claws. So that leaves dog, coyote or coydog mix. Lulu is upset with me because I won't let her out alone and since I'm canning, she has to be in more. She is unhappy but I won't chance losing her as well. Thanks again, it is so quiet out there it is almost spooky.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with Steve that isn't a Canine (Coyote, Wolf) paw print. (there is no claw prints) Felines are the only animal that can retract there claws.
If you can get a estimated measurement of the print this might help,
A mountain lion /cougar paw print is around 3.5 inches wide 3.0 inches long, Bobcat/ Lynx paw print are around the same size at around 2.5 inches wide 2.0 inches long.

Coyote
7054_coyf.gif

Mountain Lion (Cougar)
7054_cougarfront1.gif

Bobcat/Lynx
7054_bobcathind.gif

Chris

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
what a loss, so very sorry for you. when we wanted proof of what was coming in our yard, we put up a simple cheap security camera, could that be a option .. i hope you get to have chickens again one day!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss... I had a very large dog [150 lb malamute] attack my flock a few years back...and killed them all except for my one broody momma who was in the house...if your fence was only 4 foot high then anything could jump over...I would build a very large covered run before trying to raise any more birds...I came on here to brag about my new babies being birthed today... Wish I could send them to you...wait till spring and start over...if your neighbor has chicks they may share....
:hugs

Liana

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss, Jojo! Do you have anyone local to you who might loan you a game camera? One that can take decent pictures at night could solve your ID problem.

Latest posts