Already fed up with winter

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The plants have been over wintering indoors since early November, and although it has only been officially winter for a few weeks, we are fed up with winter already. The day after the winter solstice, I added a half hour to the day length, changed the lighting spectrum from vegetative to vegetative/flowering, and began their normal growing season watering/feeding cycle.

While watering the olive trees today, I noticed that the changes in lighting cycle, spectrum and feeding are beginning to take effect. As can be seen in the photo, one of the trees, a Koroneiki, is starting to set flower buds. And, a few other varieties appear to be at least thinking about budding, additionally, all of plants have new growth at the branch tips. Last year, I did not see any indication of budding until late February, so this year the trees will have a really extended growing season.

It is not nice to fool Mother Nature, but I just can't resist trying. ;)

jackb

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, you always have the most interesting things going on in your greenhouse. Fed up with winter......not in your greenhouse!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I need some additional UVs here in MT! Can't wait till our days start SEEMING longer (i know they are, but it doesn't feel like it!). If only Jackb could tinker with our day length...

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry Jack, I truly am. I am in GA now and it is great weather. My oldest son and daughter are still in Ohio and they are fed up with the cold as well. The summer is a lot hotter or hotter longer I guess. That is a challenge of it's own. So I guess everywhere has it's issues. Going out today to work on my beds. My garden last year was awful so I am trying to work out schedules and plant types. It is like moving to Mars or something.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read a sci-fi book many years ago about colonists to a planet with seasons of some incredible lengths. I don't know, it was like 30 Earth years. This might have been an Asimov book but I don't think so ...

The colonists had a very easy and comfortable life until winter came. Then, they would use some drug to hibernate. Individuals awakening now and then would experience time in what seemed slow motion. The reality was that it would take them weeks to cross the floor to look out the window at the frozen landscape ... similar, I'm sure, to what I see out of my window, today.

Isaac Asimov would have been 95 yesterday, if he was still living. J. R. R. Tolkien's birthday is today. Elfin magic might hasten the passing of wintertime.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's warm and rainy here today. We've had so much rain this season. Pretty sure the drought is over here. I have to put on my rubber boots to go feed the chickens. Between moles messing up the yard and the chickens scratching in it, and constant rain and constant chicken poop. Gahh! It is supposed to get very cold next week. At least the mire will be frozen.

Latest posts