Alyssum, my new fav!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have about a thousand favorite plants, but today sweet alyssum is the clear winner! We have had a half dozen heavy frosts and that allysum still looks great! The seeds are so tiny, I just spread them around, forget about them and then they are everywhere! Pretty good at self seeding too. When I go into the yard, mid-summer the scent is heavenly! They make such a nice plant, at the front of the garden. I love finding them in unexpected places, like the aisle in the veggie garden, or the crack in the sidewalk!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well this sounds very nice I can almost picture it! Hint hint
camera_smiley.jpg

Joe

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sorry, I am too stupid to post a pic. One of these days, I'll get DD to help me and I'll show you everything at once!!! I just picked some of the alyssum- I'm going to try and press it...

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:thumbsup
I like alyssum too! I put some around the base of my roses this summer...and I'm hoping some will start popping up again next spring! :fl

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i seemed to have struggled with my alyssum, i bought a 6 pack and killed them, then bought another 6 pack thinking i bought the first one to soon, killed the second pack .. my third 6 pack i put in total shade in front of my azaleas, they struggled all through summer and then all the sudden look great now ??? i totally love the purple ones, but i have white .. im crossing my fingers they will revisit me next year too!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really don't recommend buying plants for this one. As successful as I have been with seeds, I always kill the plants!! I bought about a million seeds on ebay. They are the size of pepper- spread them around and like magic, they will grow. You hardly cover them with dirt. Give it a try, in the spring!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I just picked some of the alyssum- I'm going to try and press it...
I would love to hear how the 'pressing' turns out. I've not tried alyssum, yet.

It's one of my top favs too! The old cultivar 'Carpet of Snow' has been a better re-seeder for me than some of the newer ones.
They pop up late here, so it may be that I disturb the soil too early. I start a flat inside in late March, pretty easy from seed if you don't over water.

Chills - You did right! Alyssum likes some shade in warmer climates. The colored varieties do better for me in part shade.
Heat prevents bloom and slows growth. They will bounce back when the weather cools.
I've also read that they tend to like 'poor' soil, good soil may actually stunt growth. Odd plant!:/

Latest posts