Am I the first hillbilly??? Wee-doggies!! ~WV~

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eastern Panhandle of WV here, any mountain folk out there? Mountain bred and born here! Would be nice to correspond with folks who share the same climate conditions when it comes to gardening.

I am a Christian woman who lives on a 1.5 acre rent-a-farm with 2 chicks (teenagers) still at home. I am a single parent, 3 great boys 18 and 16 and an older one, 22, who has flown the coop. I have 2 good dogs (Lab and Lab/Border Collie mix), one great cat, and 16 assorted chickens and 25 chicks on the way. I have a large garden and about 15 apple trees. All the animals live outside (except the aforementioned teenagers)!

I am a Child of God, Mother, Nurse, Massage Therapist and Medical Transcriptionist. The rest of the resume is too long to place here! :lol:

I love joy and laughter, gardening, homesteading, reading, crafting things with my hands and everything to do with a self-sustaining lifestyle. I await breathlessly for my Countryside magazine.
I love these old mountains, the stillness and peace of the valleys, and the air here that is like breathing the essence of heaven! The water is so cold and clear its like drinking diamonds!

Nice to meet you all!!!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, Beekissed!

Your area sounds beautiful. I have enjoyed your posts, and will look forward to more! :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome Beekissed!

Your area definitely beats mine. I have views of multi-story buildings, a couple of city parks with trees and freeways in the distance.

Best of luck with all you do and your posts are great!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I was born and raised in West Virginia, but have gradually made my way to the burbs of NYC. I visit my mother and sister every summer. I was deciding on an heirloom tomato the other day at the garden center, and I saw one named West Virginia Hillbilly. I decided that was the one for me! People here think I am crazy...for wanting chickens, for preferring a wheel barrow for Mother's Day instead of jewelry, to spending a summer creating masonry projects with rocks I find around the yard, etc. It is all totally beyond their comprehension. (Can take the girl out of the country, but can't take the country out of the girl.)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Exactly!!! Its that mountaineer spirit of wanting to craft something with your hands, like in the old days. The old folks had to work hard for a living....I don't think city folks know what hard work is, let alone try to understand it. They can't seem to imagine that nearly everything they eat started with someone's sweat! :lol:

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
:yuckyuck Exactly!!! Its that mountaineer spirit of wanting to craft something with your hands, like in the old days. The old folks had to work hard for a living....I don't think city folks know what hard work is, let alone try to understand it. They can't seem to imagine that nearly everything they eat started with someone's sweat! :lol:
Some of us "city folks" know what it is.

We've been growing all of our own fruits and veggies and living in the city (well cities) almost all of my life. You'd be amazed what you can do with skyscrapers all around and the strange microclimates that they create!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
No offense, Oakland City!!! :) I have lived in the country all my life and most of these folks have forgotten what hard work is also! My own KIDS don't know what its like to work really hard all day and they do more work than all their friends! When I talk about gardening, having chickens, canning, building projects, building fence and just generally improving our living area, all my co-workers just keep saying, " That sounds like a lot of work to me, you can have it!" Since when did working become a bad thing?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
No offense, Oakland City!!! :) I have lived in the country all my life and most of these folks have forgotten what hard work is also! My own KIDS don't know what its like to work really hard all day and they do more work than all their friends! When I talk about gardening, having chickens, canning, building projects, building fence and just generally improving our living area, all my co-workers just keep saying, " That sounds like a lot of work to me, you can have it!" Since when did working become a bad thing?
No offense taken.

I understand completely! Most people in the neighborhood and people we know here think we're absolutely crazy! We rented out one of our rooms and people were coming over to just see what a chicken looked like in real life.

A common line for us is, "You have chickens? In the city? Here in Oakland? Wow.".