Am I too cheap?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Needed some San Marzano tomatoes. Went to small green house where I bought some heirloom plants 2 years ago. Said they had them, $2/plant. Told her she was much higher than 2 years ago. Her comment same price as then. I had bought them from her husband then. I told him then that I would only pay what I paid at local green house, so he agreed to match. Wished her well, left as friendly as I arrived.

They sell produce and plants at local farmer markets. So is $2/plant normal?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I paid $3.50 for mine. Two dollars sounds reasonable to me when you consider the work you would have done to start it from seed.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Per plant? It's obvious that we are engages in the wrong professions. We should be selling tomato plants! :gig

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting and I was concerned when local green house went from $12 to $14 per flat. I still bought there because I like this green house (actually they got some San Marzano's in so I went and bought them-4/$1.29.

I guess I am cheap.....my DW wouldn't disagree as she says I'm like my mom would could squeeze a penny like no other. When you grow up poor, you learn to make money go as far as it could.

Mary, how much is a flat in your area? I'd probably die of heart attack with your cost of living expenses........:ep

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What size pot are we talking about here? I just bought 4" pots - 2 creeping jenny, and 4 coleus, they were $3.50 a piece, which i considered normal. Dont buy tomatoes so i'm not sure what they are at the greenhouse.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes I bought were in 4 cell plastic. Understand perennials but annuals? For $2 they had better have small tomatoes on them. Mine are 4" tall and definitely not blooming

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our plants come in 4" pots. They don't sell them in flats. Unless you get a flat and fill them with 4"inch pots, they are still $3.50 each. Creeping Jenny's are $4.99 for 4" pot. Coral Bells are $5.99 and up for 4" pots. Just paid $4.95 for a 4" coleus. Impations are also expensive in 4" pots. Jep, everything is higher out here.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd better stay in the sticks..... I'd never survive those prices. Always thought I'd like to visit SF but at those prices, could only stay 5 minutes. I am old! :old

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One place by me had tomatoes in one gallon pots, $14. Way too much for me, but everything has gone up this year. Most tomato plants are $2-4. I can get tiny plants in cell packs, but I'm not sure on the price. I never get them. I don't have much room and like to grow a variety. Flats are around $20. Other then that prices really vary. I've seen the same plant at different places range from $9-$22.

Latest posts