amaryllidaceae

Ton Wijnen

Sprout
Reaction score
am a botanist and private collector in Holland. I am collecting Amaryllidaceae. I am searching Hippeastrum species,Hymenocallis species and Griffinia species. Also other Amaryllidaceae such as Brunsvigia ,Ammocharis,Boophane,Placea, Crinum, Rhodophiala species are very welcome. I am searching bulbs of seeds of these plants for my private collection.

Also I am searching some seeds or seedlings from Cryptostephanus species .
I have also some material for trading.

Can and will you help me please?

Or do you know other people in you area who can help me? Maybe botanists or private collectors?

Thank you very much and I hope to hear soon from you again.

Ton Wijnen
Holland"

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

That is a lot to request for your first post! :welcome

You might try introducing us to the particular plants you love by way of pictures and examples, and then we can say if we know of them. Otherwise you are forcing us to look everything up if we want to even help.

I vote post some info! I like hearing what other folks love! Make us love what you love and then we will most likely find what your looking for! :love

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ton Wijnen said:
am a botanist and private collector in Holland. I am collecting Amaryllidaceae. I am searching Hippeastrum species,Hymenocallis species and Griffinia species. Also other Amaryllidaceae such as Brunsvigia ,Ammocharis,Boophane,Placea, Crinum, Rhodophiala species are very welcome. I am searching bulbs of seeds of these plants for my private collection.

Or do you know other people in you area who can help me? Maybe botanists or private collectors?

Ton Wijnen
Holland"
Turns out the Hippeastrum is our standard Amaryllis (like we see during the Holidays)

The Hymenocallis are lilies, like a white spider

The Griffinia is your Agapanthus type lily

and the Cryptostephanus is your Clivia.

I didn't look up the rest.

It doesn't seem like it would be a worthy cause if you have to conduct shipping to Holland. With restrictions and regulations it might be easier to contact a grower over there!

Sorry, but can we ask, how long does an Amaryllis seed last?

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:welcome Ton

Ron thank you for looking them up! :thumbsup

Being a Botanist Ton you must have a great deal to tell us about these and some great photos.

I like growing them but it seems something eats them after just a few years. Seems like they are some type of bug eating the bulbs.
Any help would be great!

Joe

Ton Wijnen

Sprout
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Ton Wijnen said:

Ton Wijnen
Holland"
Turns out the Hippeastrum is our standard Amaryllis (like we see during the Holidays)

The Hymenocallis are lilies, like a white spider

The Griffinia is your Agapanthus type lily

and the Cryptostephanus is your Clivia.

I didn't look up the rest.

It doesn't seem like it would be a worthy cause if you have to conduct shipping to Holland. With restrictions and regulations it might be easier to contact a grower over there!

Sorry, but can we ask, how long does an Amaryllis seed last?

Ron
Hallo Ron

Thnak you for searching the names in your area.
I am searching species, no hybrids.
Here in Holland we have a great collection of hybrids Amaryllis. But that is not what I want. Also spider lily, Griffinia species I am searching. These are growing in your area's.
It costs several years for flowering these bulbs from seeds, but I have patience.
Of course, I want most little bulbs or seedling.
I hope some one can help me or can give me some websites or collectors in your country.

thank you

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If memory serves me then Hattie is our 'official' European connection! LOL Unless I am overlooking someone.

On BYC (the old one), there was a friend that was in Finland who was a source of Great and Wondrous stories of living. Why her name is slipping my tongue is beyond me. :/

At any rate. Maybe Hattie can tell you if shipping from the US to your end of the World is even possible these days. Has anyone tried to ship to the UK or any other European Nation? I did ship some handmade roses to Canada, and I stuffed the box with baggies of seeds (tons of them). I declared my box as 'Handcrafted Metal Roses', and that they were a gift. They actually went through, however, there was a disruption because the equivalence of Dollar postage to Canadian Currency was not correct, my friend had to 'pay up' over $20 (worth) to retrieve the package. Needless to say she was extremely pleased and delighted. We broke the law! LOL I sent her every invasive species you could imagine LOL !

They were all probably quite well-behaved plants for her though. :watering

Again, welcome to the site Ton; please share with us your current collections!

What I can gather thus far is that the only Native American Amaryllis is the Amaryllis belladonna

1324.jpeg

Here are the Calphotos website! Awesome site for anyone interested in Native Fauna with pictures! CalPhotos A. belladonna

Ron :coolsun

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

It is very difficult to send stuff into the UK. You have to ask permission for everything! However we do have a very people-friendly office which deals with it. HiDelight was intending to send me a parcel of 'goodies' ! to cheer me up. I suspect Holland might have as strict laws, considering their huge horticultural enterprises which have to be protected from pests or disease.

Perhaps Ton could tell us what the relevant advice is from his end. I just Googled & then emailed the Goverment office here in the UK & back came the information within the day!

Hope this helps a bit.

:rose Hattie :rose

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Amarylidaceae are one of the most intriguing and beautiful family of plants!

Little Snow Drops come in many species. I found some half a mile downstream on the Santa Rosa Creek when I was a kid, downstream that is from...Luther Burbank's old gardens!!! I had also found many Callas, and some were large. Those are not Amarylidaceae, but the Daffodils I found are. I think these were forebears to King Alfred. There used to be tons of naked ladies growing, now but few. (Belladonna, not... :gig )

Latest posts