Amaryllis bulb

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought some Amaryllis bulbs at Home Depot on clearance before Christmas. You know the kind that comes in a kit as a gift? Well, several of the bulbs had shoots that burst our of the boxes, so they were marked way down. I potted them and gave them away, keeping one for myself.

So this one I have has sent up one giant bright healthy leaf in the last month. The leaf is probably 16 inches long and stands erect (as my husband likes to joke). A few other leaves began to grow from the bulb but quickly shriveled up...Where's my flower? Should I give it more time or perhaps had it already bloomed and died back when I bought it?

I will follow up with pictures.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi AllyRodrigues! :frow

If the bulb is just growing leaves, thens its most likely isn't going to bloom. Pictures of the bulb would help to see what kind of growth it has made.
I have an amaryllis I planted about a month ago and it first sent up a flower shoot then the leaves appeared.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be patient a flower stalk may still come. It may have flowered in the store but, many have 1-3 flower stalks a year. Fertilize and keep in the sun, put it outdoors in the summer. Bring it in in the fall, let the leaves die back drying out. When it looks good and dead, start to water and put in a sunny window. I have keep Amaryllis going for years and years. I have bought left over bulbs many times. I open the box and check to see if the flower spike has started or was damaged.

Latest posts