Amaryllis

lilac321

Sprout
Reaction score
I have one amaryllis plant/bulb that has grown each winter for the last 3. This past winter it didn't give off a bloom. I now have several long leaves dying and am wondering what to do with this plant? Can I plant outdoors. What do I do when the leaves get so long they just droop over?

Thanks!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm... my mom's bloomed in her kitchen window for 2 winters, then nothing this year. She's going to put it out on the deck when it warms up. I'm not sure what the problem is?

P.S. - :welcome Neighbor

lilac321

Sprout
Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with our zone this year. I'd like to do whatever I can to ensure it blooms again.

Thank you!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine bloomed in my kitchen window for 3 years and this year...nothing. I thought maybe it just needed a rest. When the leaves wilt and die just cut them off a little above ground level.
You can see mine from last year in my avatar. lol

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Perhaps it needs repotting or fertilizing? Is there any sign of rot? Mealybugs, scale? Would you consider knocking it out of its pot for a minute to see what's going on belowdecks? (Only if the soil is going to stay intact around the roots, if it will fall apart don't do it).

I would suggest keeping it as happy as you can til you can put it outside -- my mom has done very well with them just planting them directly into the ground *once it is warm enough*, in a location that gets bright light but not much direct sun. Grow it on as if it were a regular plant, stop watering in July (I realize there's nothing you can do about rain :p), then when it has died back significantly dig it up for storage. Sometimes my mom's refuse to die back and have to be dug up green in late August and MADE to die back :p but they have still usually flowered the next winter.

Good luck,

Pat

Latest posts