Amend existing beds

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I currently have 2 4x8 beds with top soil from last year. This year when I was weeding and adding my composted chicken manure I had to really work to break up that top soil. I did add peat moss last year and this year along with the manure. Before I break my back this weekend again on the other bed, what can I add now to help with less compaction next year? I do have "leaf compost" in the woods around my house.

Picture of beds...
6832_spring_006.jpg

I will also be adding hay bedding my goats use as mulch between the plants.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track- the more organic matter you add each year, the better off you will be. I think peat can end up like a brick, depending on the conditions. Happy Gardening!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mulch. First, because it gradually breaks down and gets mixed into the soil as worms etc do their work; and second, because it protects the surface of the soil from rain and drying that cause it to crust over.

And if needed put some small flat rocks (or whatever) at strategic places in the beds so you never, ever, at all, have to put a foot or hand in there to lean on.

As the organic matter content of the soil increases, you will find it getting fluffier and looser. If you can't dig the organic matter in, are just topdressing, then it can take several years or more to see significant changes, but have faith, it DOES change eventually :) If OTOH you can actually dig in the organic matter, you can improve it radically just within the year. But MULCH OVER THE WINTER to maintain soil condition.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think this was part of my problem. I did nothing over the winter, it sat there. This winter I'm working in as much compost as I can. This compost is coming from what I compost this summer. Which should be a lot. Raking the yard after it's mowed is kind of a pain, but I need the grass clippings. I do get my hubby to mow it so that it's only a few lines I have to rake. I will also add a layer of leaves and soil to the top. I wanted to build little chicken arks to fit over the tops of my beds and over winter a few hens in each box, but I won't have electric to keep the water from freezing and I remember my first winter with chickens and the water was a pain, but may be with a few hens I could rotate smaller waterers.

It's still an idea. ;)

Thanks, Melissa

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you can work out a way to get the chickens in there- you will see amazing results! Let them do the digging for you! Even for a couple hours now and then- will make a difference! Good luck!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have worked our ammendments in slowly with the tiller. the soil is now looking really rich and fluffy.
we have 1 raised bed that I have been working with a spading fork, it is coming along nicely as well. Leaf litter works really good for helping break up the soil, if you can get leaves I say go for it. You could speed things up by laying them out in your yard and going over them with the lawn mower to chop them up, then add to your beds.

Latest posts