"America's Most Hated Woman"

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The reading group I belong to had the assignment of reading a biography about a woman, for discussions next month. Wandering through the biographical section at the library, I came across the biography of Madalyn Murray O'Hair, entitled "America's Most Hated Woman." The author is Ann Rowe Seaman, in case you are interested.
I have to admit, that, while I knew who she was, I was blissfully unaware of much of the controversy that surrounded her, her family and their disappearance and death.
For you who are younger, she is the reason kids can't say prayers in public schools anymore. She was a founder and supreme ruler of several atheist organizations in the USA and internationally. She filed hundreds and hundreds of lawsuits to try to stop any display of anything possibly deemed religious in governmental settings. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, her personality and urgent sense of duty were amazing. Her complete control over her children's lives is scary. I just finished the book with a terrible sadness that her life was spent denying the goodness and light in people. She died a horrific death and was cut up and burned, along with her youngest son and a grand daughter. I also felt the need to wash my hands after reading the book.
So, have you read any good books lately?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Currently reading all the apiary info I can cram into my little brain.

That book sounds terrible So Lucky. I know it's good to be informed, and I've read books like that, biographies mostly, and some of them are encouraging and inspiring, and others gave me the same reaction you had from yours. I just wanted to open my head and hose it out.

DH and I just finished a book about the spy ring that helped win the War for Independence. Very readable and interesting.
[George Washingtons Secret Six, by Brian KIlmeade and Don Yaeger]

I listen to a lot of books when I'm working during the garden season, and have run across several keepers in the true story genre.
I also like fiction and have some favorite authors I look for, but have also started a bunch and didn't make it through the first disc before I ejected it. There's an awful lot of books out there that have no redeeming value. Of course that's just my opinion. :confused:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . I also felt the need to wash my hands after reading the book.
So, have you read any good books lately?

Why would I want to :eek:!

I "looked through" the oddest little book recently. It took a few hours mostly because I wanted it to ;). and it was more cartoon art than anything. Wikipedia, Here

Darnedest thing :D! It took the guy 24 years to get around to writing that book. I can't count it as my one "Winter Novel." I don't usually read fiction so I'm still thinking on what I'll read this winter. I usually have some measure of desperation along about Ground Hog's Day!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I think that "Here" book might have been easier to follow if it had been chronological. Maybe.
I just want to say that I read the book about O'Hair with the hope that I may find some redeeming qualities in her that would balance out her outrageous and polarizing behavior. The woman behind the legend, so to speak. She did love flowers and her family and animals, (and Christmas, believe it or not!) but probably with the same controlling smothering possessiveness that she displayed everywhere else. I'm glad I read the book, and it was well written, but I'm sure glad she wasn't my neighbor!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a slippery slope. I can understand how the Constitution protects our religious freedom and why the Supreme Court consistently decides the way it does, whether it is packed with conservatives or liberals. It's not an attack on any religion but a defense of our right to worship as we please. I know that statement probably offends some people but I think it is basic to maintaining our religious freedom. I believe our constitutional rights don't mean much when they are popular. It's when you have to hold your nose to allow someone else to practice their rights that they really offer any protection.

I know we need passionate people to help us define and defend our freedoms, but I would not want to live that close to someone like that either. We need people like that but not in my back yard.

I just finished reading "Boone; A Biography" by Robert Morgan. It was a little dry and there was definitely some hero worship in it, but I did learn a lot about an American icon I did not know. I've started "Overmountain Men", first of a fictional trilogy by Cameron Judd. I don't know why but I seem to be stuck in the mountains of Appalachia. I do have other interests in books, some fictional some non-fiction.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just started reading Mahogany The Costs of Luxury in early America by Jennifer L. Anderson. Have only read a few chapters so far.Wish Ihad more time to read.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, last year I read the cassaforte chronicles. That's 4 books but definitely worth it. I think I read 50-60 books last year and that was definitely my favorite series out of all of them. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well !

I have drifted off onto two paths ... Ridgerunner mentions hero worship and Boone. I'm thinking about Jackson, from another corner of Appalachia and a little later. As a kid, I thought he was pretty cool - but, the more I learned about him, the less there was any hero worshiping on my part. Another president fits into the same sort of thing. Wilson, wonderfully educated, did all these noteworthy things, struggling mightily, especially during the last years of his life. I'm a little dismayed at his personality on the periphery of what he was willing to attempt. I'm not really very willing to look any closer at some of my near-heroes.

What's-her-name was never a near-hero. I seriously doubt whether a book referring to her as "most hated" has any hero worshiping to it - unless the worshiping is taking a 180° from where she was in life. Whether I'm gonna get more or less from someone's perspective on another flawed human isn't quite what I'll be looking for on the book shelves.

Mahogany?!! Yeah. Hauling all sorts of expensive wood to the US?! What was up with that? Like ... we didn't have trees here ... o_O. What I think it points to is the close connection between the early United States & colonies and the Caribbean. Close, close - and, why was that? Ah, I'd kind of not like to get into that sadness ...

Steve
wait! AMKuska ... swords and sorcery ... nah, i'm too olde.

Latest posts