AMKuska's 2023 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure what you mean by chunky, because with some potting soil that is compressed for packing and shipping it just comes that way and needs to be wetted and broken up a bit, but if it was a problem of the chunks being different materials and such then that would mean it wasn't really mixed or screened very well.

with the complaints i'm seeing here of twigs and odd materials being in the potting soil or seed starting blends it looks to me like they don't screen their materials when they should. especially for a seed starting blend.
by chunky I mean tons of sticks, large pieces of wood, rope, and other strange materials. I do think running it through some kind of screen would resolve the issue. I don't mind the smaller pieces of wood, but it looks like there's more rough material than soil in the bag.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
by chunky I mean tons of sticks, large pieces of wood, rope, and other strange materials. I do think running it through some kind of screen would resolve the issue. I don't mind the smaller pieces of wood, but it looks like there's more rough material than soil in the bag.
DEFINITELY screen it! I watch lots of gardening programs. Sometimes they rehash and I snooze, but once in awhile somebody will do something genious.
In one program the gardener was fine screening compost to a certain depth to cover carrots. All twigs and junk went back to the bottom of his compost pile to cook down some more.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@AMKuska I also dug up some peppers plants from the garden and potted them up at the end of season and brought them in to over winter. Since peppers are perennial, if they survive the trauma of being dug up they will grow again and fruit. I did this to every hot pepper variety and one sweet pepper variety. The other option would be to grow them in pots from the beginning.
I have 9 plants in the house next to a window and so far they all look alive. It is not much but I am hoping that this will give me a bit of head start for this season. My peppers seem to lag behind when tomatoes are ready for salsa making.

I don't know why I never thought of this but you can also take suckers from a hybrid tomato and grow a new plant that you can over winter and grow next season. I love hybrid tomatoes but the seeds are getting expensive so I plan to root them this year. I've grown suckers from plants the same season but never over wintered them.
Just thought you should also have more plants inside the house like I do 😂

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska I also dug up some peppers plants from the garden and potted them up at the end of season and brought them in to over winter. Since peppers are perennial, if they survive the trauma of being dug up they will grow again and fruit. I did this to every hot pepper variety and one sweet pepper variety. The other option would be to grow them in pots from the beginning.
I have 9 plants in the house next to a window and so far they all look alive. It is not much but I am hoping that this will give me a bit of head start for this season. My peppers seem to lag behind when tomatoes are ready for salsa making.

I don't know why I never thought of this but you can also take suckers from a hybrid tomato and grow a new plant that you can over winter and grow next season. I love hybrid tomatoes but the seeds are getting expensive so I plan to root them this year. I've grown suckers from plants the same season but never over wintered them.
Just thought you should also have more plants inside the house like I do 😂
I'm interested in trying that. I read on a pepper expert that saving your pepper plants is a great way to keep them alive.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried pruning back a couple of jalapeno plants and brought them indoors for the winter, and it was a bit of a bust-- but yesterday my neighbour told me that she brought her bell pepper plants in the house last fall and she actually has peppers forming on the plant! She said she hand-pollinated them. I am so impressed.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried pruning back a couple of jalapeno plants and brought them indoors for the winter, and it was a bit of a bust-- but yesterday my neighbour told me that she brought her bell pepper plants in the house last fall and she actually has peppers forming on the plant! She said she hand-pollinated them. I am so impressed.
How far back did you prune them?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The main challenge I've had in trying to overwinter my pepper plants was bugs. Lots of bugs. But I've met others who've done it successfully for years.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The main challenge I've had in trying to overwinter my pepper plants was bugs. Lots of bugs. But I've met others who've done it successfully for years.
I imagine bringing them from the outdoors inside would yield a lot of bugs. I believe pepper geek on youtube does it. I'll check his videos and see if he has advice for 'debugging' the peppers before they come in.