AMKuska's 2023 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got food out of the garden two days in a row! I'm very proud of how my cold season garden is doing. In the past it has never done well, but apparently putting the crops in the shade was just the trick they needed.

Yesterday we made a taco salad with my lettuce, and today bok choy is going into my soba noodles. It's not much, but it's super cool to be getting anything at all in April. <3

My daughter apparently loves bok choy. She kept stealing leaves and running away with it to gobble it up.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's definitely spring!
DSC06201.JPG

The garlic is huge. I'm noticing some slight yellowing on the bottom leaves though. I wonder if they aren't fans of the sudden extreme heat we've been having.
DSC06203.JPG

This is my daughter's corn. It's so hot here that we're watering every day in the mornings to try and make sure they don't dry out. It's already dry on the surface now, but 1/4" below the surface is still moist.
DSC06207.JPG

Tomatoes are doing really well outside. Even the ones who browned from the colder nights are coming back. No deaths except one tomato I accidentally broke a stem on.
DSC06210.JPG

My daughter's watermelons, growing modestly.
DSC06215.JPG

Lettuce is still coming in. We just had some on burgers yesterday. Radishes unfortunately seem to be all leaves and no root. I suspect there's too much nitrogen in the soil.
DSC06217.JPG

Carrots are just peeping through
DSC06219.JPG

Potatoes

My MIL gave me this gigantic flamingo for Mother's Day:
DSC06225.JPG

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The cabbage is looking less impressive. It took me ages to find the slug (just one!!) doing this. Once found he pleaded for mercy, but was sentenced to death. Execution by chicken happened shortly thereafter.
DSC06222.JPG

Peas are coming along strongly
DSC06223.JPG

Last but not least, my loving husband is building me a chicken coup for the Sebrights. The project so far.

DSC06227.JPG

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the Grandpa's Home produced a fruit indoors. It's still a tiny little guy, but the peppers were red. I told my husband and he said, "Pop that bad boy off and let's give it a try!"

He popped it right in his mouth and then... "GLRK!!"

Me: Are you okay?!
Him: Cough. *hiccup*
Me: Is it awful?! Is it too spicy??!
Him: *grabs fistful of goldfish* "It ramps up really fast."

Grandpa's home is supposed to be comparible to a cherry Habanero, which he can eat without problems. He can even eat sauces with Carolina Reaper in it, so I was very alarmed to see him struggling with this very innocent doll sized pepper.

Once he recovered, he asked if I could grow him a lot more so he can make a relish out of it. Yikes!!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One of the Grandpa's Home produced a fruit indoors. It's still a tiny little guy, but the peppers were red. I told my husband and he said, "Pop that bad boy off and let's give it a try!"

He popped it right in his mouth and then... "GLRK!!"

Me: Are you okay?!
Him: Cough. *hiccup*
Me: Is it awful?! Is it too spicy??!
Him: *grabs fistful of goldfish* "It ramps up really fast."

Grandpa's home is supposed to be comparible to a cherry Habanero, which he can eat without problems. He can even eat sauces with Carolina Reaper in it, so I was very alarmed to see him struggling with this very innocent doll sized pepper.

Once he recovered, he asked if I could grow him a lot more so he can make a relish out of it. Yikes!!
😂 he will never admit a failure. I friends like that. I grew up eating very spicy food so when I say "this is spicy" people usually take my word for it.
I had one friend that ate some of my cowboy candy and was sweating like crazy rest of the meal but wouldn't admit that it was spicy.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! That is the same pepper as Grandpa's Siberian Home Pepper, right? I have more than a dozen of those plants ready to bump up to larger pots for sharing with friends, and for some reason I had it in my head that it was a sweet pepper. I will have to be careful who I give it to. ;)

Latest posts