An Onion Question

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted red onion sets about 4 months ago. I harvested today and they were all really small, the largest was only about 3" in diameter. Some plants didn't produce a bulb at all, just roots.

I planted them about 8" apart and 1' rows.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine didn't get very big either. I'd say 3" is a good size for kitchen use. Oldguy, did you put out bulbs or plants? I have been told that in order to get green onions, you can plant the little bulbs (sets) but if you want to grow big dry onions, you need to use the little fine plants that come in a bundle of 50 or 100. Altho I have heard of people using the sets and growing big onions. :hu Onions are hard for me, but I keep trying.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never been able to grow large red onions. Many barely develop at all. I plant sets and seedlings that I purchase but only plant different yellows, which did great. I think the reds need a longer growing season.

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We got onion sets this year from Dixondale Farms, and they produced massive amounts of huge onions. I have never seen anything like it. They know onions and know which ones to plant in your area and give simple planting instructions. Highly recommend checking out their site.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
meatburner said:
We got onion sets this year from Dixondale Farms, and they produced massive amounts of huge onions. I have never seen anything like it. They know onions and know which ones to plant in your area and give simple planting instructions. Highly recommend checking out their site.
Thank you MeatBurner. I've requested a catalog from Dixondale Farms. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
MeatBurner, what kind specifically did you get? I think your weather would be like mine, but maybe your soil and abilities differ. :hide I know Dixondale is a trustworthy company.

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I got the mix of yellow, white, and red in the intermediate day zone. You can order them now and they will send them when it's time to plant next spring. My soil is a pretty good loose mix with lots of compost in raised beds. Softball size was pretty average.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
meatburner said:
I got the mix of yellow, white, and red in the intermediate day zone. You can order them now and they will send them when it's time to plant next spring. My soil is a pretty good loose mix with lots of compost in raised beds. Softball size was pretty average.
Wow! I have never grown a softball size anything!..........well, a few cantaloupes, lol

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
so lucky, this was a first big success for me on the onions. They send several e-mails as reminders for taking care of the onions. The only thing I did different from their planting suggestions was I used 10-10-10 fertilizer instead of ordering theirs. I don't recall a single onion not growing. A few got into heavy shade from the tomatoes and still grew almost as big. This pic is pretty common.
9850_onion_for_karla_6-25-13.jpg