An unorthodox way to cure garlic?

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first time planting, and harvesting garlic.

I read this little bit on curing/storing guidelines:

How to Cure or Dry Fresh Garlic for Use and Storing

Brush off any soil clinging to the bulbs. Leave the stalks and roots on the bulbs, while they dry.
Allow the bulbs to cure, or dry, for three to four weeks in either a well-ventilated room or a dry, shady spot outside. Sunlight can change the flavor of fresh garlic.
Once the tops and roots have dried they can be cut off.
You can also further clean the bulbs by removing the outer skins. Just be careful not to expose any of the cloves.
How to Store Garlic

Keep your garlic is a cool (32 degrees F - 40 degrees F) dark place where it will still get some air circulation. Braiding and hanging garlic is a good way to keep it, but dont hang it in the kitchen, where it will be in bright light. You could also store your garlic in a mesh bag or dish.

Softneck varieties of garlic can be stored for 6 - 8 months. Check periodically to make sure it is not going soft or sprouting.

Hardneck varieties may dry out, sprouting or go soft within 2-4 months. Keeping hardnecks at 32oF sometimes helps them survive for up to 7 months without deteriorating.

So I figure out if I tied my garlic up to this garden structure I'm not using right now and kept it out on my covered patio......

whatcha think?

P1010681.jpg

P1010682.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whatever works you know! ;) I happen to think its fabulous... using what you are not using for anything else makes you realize how important it is, so you don't throw it away. :D And you'll have yummy storable garlic.

Is that the elephant garlic?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Try planting elephant garlic they get really big, their taste is milder, and their easier to peel ;) .

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'll be pulling my elephant garlic SOON!!! :D So excited!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Try planting elephant garlic they get really big, their taste is milder, and their easier to peel ;) .
There is a trick to peeling garlic known to every chef. Lay your clove flat on a solid cutting board. Lay the flat side of a heavy bladed knife over it. A Chinese cleaver is great if you have one. Smack the blade with the side of your fist. The husk comes off cleanly and the flattened clove is ready for chopping.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Greenthumb18 said:
There is a trick to peeling garlic known to every chef. Lay your clove flat on a solid cutting board. Lay the flat side of a heavy bladed knife over it. A Chinese cleaver is great if you have one. Smack the blade with the side of your fist. The husk comes off cleanly and the flattened clove is ready for chopping.
Oh how my husband laughs when I do that!

I also roast whole cloves in the oven while I'm roasting a chicken or something for dinner. Then I keep the whole thing still rapped in the fridge and when I want some, I open it up and spread it like butter on my bread!!! Mmmmmmmmm

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
beavis said:
Hello all,

Keep your garlic is a cool (32 degrees F - 40 degrees F) dark place where it will still get some air circulation. Braiding and hanging garlic is a good way to keep it, but dont hang it in the kitchen, where it will be in bright light. You could also store your garlic in a mesh bag or dish.

So I figure out if I tied my garlic up to this garden structure I'm not using right now and kept it out on my covered patio......

whatcha think?

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/HVF-6713/P1010681.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/HVF-6713/P1010682.jpg
Won't the patio be too bright? You said it should be kept in a dark place?

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was told to just keep them out of direct sunlight. Like a north facing porch should work, that is where I just put mine. ;)

Latest posts