anaerobic composting

Fowlgardener

Sprout
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone does this? I prefer it, especially since I'm never in a hurry for more compost, but it doesn't seem to be popular with other folks, and I'm wondering why not?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you lost your sense of smell? :p

I think many folks would find the anaerobic composting method a bit offensive due to the smell. Also, I think many folks are usually in a hurry to get more compost (not one of those myself though). Personally we have a few leaf piles (I mean big piles) that have tarps over them that are breaking down anaerobically.

Also the concern around weed seeds, disease and germs can be an issue to lots of folks. Since anaerobic composting doesn't get as hot as aerobic composting it doesn't get rid of weed seeds and germs that may be present and that may cause problems later.

For the most part, I guess, we all use a little of both methods, unless of course you're one of those strange people who turn their pile weekly.

Besides the lack of work involved, what are some of the other benefits you've found from anaerobic composting?

Fowlgardener

Sprout
Reaction score
My main problem I had with regular composting was the rodents. I wanted a compost pile without hearing the scurrying feet of rodents all the time. Anaerobic composting has completely solved that problem for me. I'm still not entirely sure what they were after, as I never put any enticing scraps out there, but whatever it was, problem solved.
I was concerned when I started about the smell, because I'd read so much about it, but the only time it smells is when you open it, which is more than acceptable to me. There are times when it doesn't even smell at all . . . which is nice, because you know it's ready :)
I was also worried about the lack of beneficial bugs, but I've found that nothing can keep the black soldier fly out. It is absolutely teeming with them . . . more than I've ever seen in my traditional compost. I'm not sure I can chalk that up to a different style of composting, but I certainly welcome it. I have no clue how they're surviving in there, but they certainly are.
I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but there seems to be more compost when it's done, too. Maybe it doesn't erode away or something, I don't know, but that's certainly been my observation.
And, of course, there's the COMPLETE lack of work. Always good when you'd rather be chasing down bugs for chickens :D

Latest posts