...And Like A Good Neighbor...

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Probably because I was chasing down the old man (our older golden retriever who will be 12 in May) and was caught up in getting back to the road to get my bearings. He never gets in trouble but every once in a great while I think he forgets what he was doing or was supposed to be doing.

Plus he's got a skin condition so he's got a distinct "aroma" to him that I try not to subject others too.

I promise to say hi next time aroma therapy dog or not.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that skin condition of your dog's a year round thing or mainly in the fall, @Jared77? My lab has skin problems (allergies?) every fall and the Vet said it was common in retrievers. I am beside myself trying to help her. Claritin, Benedryl, oatmeal baths, better quality food, nothing seems to work for long. Anyone out there have suggestions on what I could do? I hate seeing her so uncomfortable.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our mutt is allergic to being allergic. We've had to switch to dog foods that contain NO by-products. Especially poultry by products. Plus allergic to nuts, so no chicken skins from resteraunts or nuts when we eat them. I expect pure breds to be allergic but he is a mutt's mutt! Who would have thought?

For dry skin rashes, raw eggs are great--eaten by dog.....

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My brother's dog is on steroids due to allergies. He had awful looking skin before, and I'm sure it itched and hurt him.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Changing to a brown rice based food helped my dog. She had dandruff and dry, itchy rashes and is also allergic to pine trees. Her coat is shiny and soft now. But my MIL's dog has a different kind of skin rash and the vet said it was fungal and aggravated by the humidity here. They have to bathe her every week or two with Rx shampoo.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've been here 2 years this week. On one side the very rich neighbors say Hi once in a while but don't use our name. I always use each of their names when calling out to them. On the other side, they were friendly for a short while and now nuthin'. Simply nuthin unless we call out and start the conversation. Regardless I gift them home baked things at Xmas cus that is what neighbors do.

Latest posts