Annuals (Wow expensive) who will grow there own?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I used to buy bedding plants, but now that I have the light issue worked out, I can start inside.

I now know plants need about 2000 lumens to keep from getting leggy and that typical grow lights DO NOT put out enough light. This Spring I got some lamps at the thrift store and put CFLs in them (highest I could get were 100W equivalent) and my starter plants did awesome.
Well sounds like you have this down pat.
Happy you are getting your annuals going so strong!

Rosalind said:
Used to have a supervisor who ran a nursery business on the side. She grew annual bedding plants for her hubby to sell at the local farmer's market for $2 each. Between that and cut-your-own Xmas trees for $20-25, she and hubby did OK for themselves. She said they made more money on selling bedding plants and the Xmas trees than on selling grown landscaping trees and bushes to professional landscapers, and eventually quit growing the landscaping trees altogether.
This is cool! I mean growing trees to sell takes years. That leaves a lot of room for loss. But being able to sell Annuals like that is wonderful!

Thanks for sharing that with us, it gives hope for the Diy in all of us.

journey11 said:
I'm too cheap to pay for annuals!!! And most perennials. And I'll do my best to get/save free seed too! And if you're determined enough, you can even make your own sterile starter, but I usually don't go that far... And I save, sterilize and reuse the plastic flats and packs. And I save plastic butter and cottage cheese containers and drill holes in them and use them for planters. I don't have to heat my sunroom where I start them (although it takes some vigilance to keep it at a good temp). A little supplemental light...and there you go...definitely under $10.
Did I hear Recycling? Now we are saving even more money!
I like the way you are thinking! ;)

Yup the mass has it, grow your own and save!
Thank you for all the great input from everyone!

Joe

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I constantly check with our recycling center for pots, flats trays etc, a good scrubbing and sterilizing and I have saved considerably on the cost of new.

I even have the recycling workers set them aside for me in case I miss a day.
I am not cheap I am frugal, it amazes me how many people throw away perfectly good and reusable plant equipment.
plus it makes me a little crazed LOL

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sunstar said:
I constantly check with our recycling center for pots, flats trays etc, a good scrubbing and sterilizing and I have saved considerably on the cost of new.

I am not cheap I am frugal, it amazes me how many people throw away perfectly good and reusable plant equipment.
I like you already!

Can I use this for my sig. line? "I am not cheap I am frugal"
I love that!

Joe

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
sunstar said:

I like you already!

Can I use this for my sig. line? "I am not cheap I am frugal"
I love that!

Joe
But of course you may use that line.
its a great one .

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I'm too cheap to pay for annuals!!! And most perennials. And I'll do my best to get/save free seed too! And if you're determined enough, you can even make your own sterile starter, but I usually don't go that far... And I save, sterilize and reuse the plastic flats and packs. And I save plastic butter and cottage cheese containers and drill holes in them and use them for planters. I don't have to heat my sunroom where I start them (although it takes some vigilance to keep it at a good temp). A little supplemental light...and there you go...definitely under $10. :coolsun
Ditto ... you sound just like me!
I start 40 - 45 flats a year, share many plants with friends and family... who help provide the seed., and also must return the pots... :)

I had some trouble finding reasonably priced (or any) 'soil-less' seed starter around here until a few years ago.
A nursery not far from me now sells 40 pound bags of their professional mix. I think it runs about a $1 per flat ... :woot
Ask at your local nurseries if you prefer the soil-less mix and have trouble finding it elsewhere.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our conversation has turned to recycling. Here's a favorite container for seed starting and a location for these cookie boxes on top the refrigerator where it's nice and warm. I often keep right on moving UP into those shelves and just leave the cabinet doors open - day and night, it's a comfortable 70+ up there.
4989_spring_oh8_001.jpg

After the seedlings have emerged, they go to a sunny, south window. The box lids are cut off and placed under the boxes.
4989_spring_oh8_004.jpg

Now, they've migrated out to the greenhouse where they can start adding to the heating costs since the gas furnace in there has to be turned on for those cold March nights.
4989_spring_oh8_005.jpg

Onto a higher bench where they will stay until the hardening-off process begins in April. This is a 72-cell tray of what I think are snaps. Most of the tray inserts I use are 48-cell.
4989_spring_oh8_007.jpg

I'm not going to say that this is all there is to it but . . . it's just taking care of babies. Oh, and emptying cookie boxes :).

Steve

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How can we talk starting seeds, cutting, trees, and not get into recycling. lol. it all goes hand in hand.

Country crock butter containers, large and small, under plants to contain water mess.

tubs for deli products, cookie, pie, and cake trays, also under plants to contain water mess.

Popsicle sticks, plant markers( wash, sterilize, use)

Old worn out or rusted bread pans, cookie sheets etc, line with aluminum and with use of a Plant bulb a reflective surface to light under leaves of plants.

used , cracked or whole fish tanks as mini green houses.

fish tank lids/ lights, replace bulbs if not for aquarium plants and use as a Plant light.

Fish tank gravel, humidity trays and decorations, after washing , sterilizing.

Plastic critter containers mini terrariums, fish bowls terrariums,
plastic dog food dishes, again under plant mess collectors.

I know there is more I use and recycle for uses other than what intended for, these are the ones I can think of at this moment.

Latest posts