Another asparagus question

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hubby and I planted 40 asparagus plants a while back. We followed the directions that came with them and only covered them with a couple of inches of dirt. We were supposed to go back and add more dirt about 2 weeks later, but hubby ended up in the hospital and we didn't get it done. I went out there the other day and several of the plants have sent up little shoots - approx 4 inches or so. Should I just leave then alone for this year, or should I try to bury them deeper at this time?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could do either.... If you have the dirt right there- go ahead and add it now....If you don't have a chance to do it now - I think doing it before winter would be important. You don't want freezing to bring them to the surface. Good luck!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I planted my asparagus last year, I just dug a hole, plopped them in the ground and covered them up to the top. Everyone of them came up last year and this year they are huge! I did harvest a few, but next year, I'm going to harvest more.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Hubby and I planted 40 asparagus plants a while back. We followed the directions that came with them and only covered them with a couple of inches of dirt. We were supposed to go back and add more dirt about 2 weeks later, but hubby ended up in the hospital and we didn't get it done. I went out there the other day and several of the plants have sent up little shoots - approx 4 inches or so. Should I just leave then alone for this year, or should I try to bury them deeper at this time?
I would just keep adding the dirt a little at a time. In your zone it's probably not important to keep them from cold. But, perhaps you have to keep them from the heat?

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, it's settled then! I will go ahead and put more soil on them. A bit later in the season, we plan to mulch heavily to conserve water and hopefully help with weeds. Thanks for the input!

RAY2310

Sprout
Reaction score
We top dress our asparagus bed with mushroom manure every year. Even if some small shoots are up.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The deeper the roots are, the better protected from heat. Deep roots come up a little later. As you mulch and add to the bed, the roots get deeper. Old, old beds produce for a long period because they have generations of roots at different levels. Add to your bed over time to protect the roots, but not to worry now.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ray - Where do you get mushroom manure from?

Teka - I have read conflicting information regarding how deep to plant asparagus. Some sites say that there is no advantage to planting deep and that the plants actually produce better if you don't (especially for the Jersey hybrids, which is what we have). Other sites pretty much say the same thing you did in your reply. It gets a little confusing. . . .

Latest posts