Another BRAG, this time for Grandson # 2 and #2 Granddaughter

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our son and daughter in law had a parent teacher conference for #2 grandson who is in 2nd grade at a Science and Mathematics Magnet School . ... He is at THE TOP OF HIS CLASS in ALL SUBJECTS. :weee They also had a parent - teacher conference for our #2 granddaughter who is in pre- -school . She is doing exceptionally well and ahead of her class for her younger age. She says that she is going to be my doctor when she grows up. Taking swimming lessons now. :weee :weee:weee#3 Grandson is too young to go to school just yet, but reads childrens' books daily. #3 Grandaughter is 13 months old... she has figured out how to use her daddy's cell phone to call me almost every morning around 6 am for the last 3 weeks.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like your grandkids have exceptional genes! How old is grandson #3 and is he reading the books all by himself? Which books are they?

Granddaughter #3 who's 13 months old needs to give me lessons on how to use my cell phone and computer!

Congratulations, I know they must just warm your heart!

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it is so amazing that little kids understand electronic gadgets so easily. So frustrating for us "elderly" who can't figure out how to use the simplest things. :hu

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We just learned that #2 Granddaughter was just accepted to attend Kindergarden at her BIG BROTHER'S Science and Mathematics Magnet School this coming fall based on her performance at this year's pre- school. She told me that she will be MY Doctor so that I can be all better ! :frow:celebrate:bow:love:weee:ya:woot:thumbsup

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
warms my heart to read about exceptional children! Good genes from Grandpa!

I can't take all of the credit for good genes for brains ;) ... all 4 of us grandparents are college graduates... #2 grandkids' mother has a Masters degree,her father, brother, sister, 3 uncles, 1 aunt, 3 cousins have Phd's. , all other relatives are college graduates. #2 grandkids' dad ( our son ) is a college graduate. All of my siblings are college graduates as well as all of their kids. The other grandfather ( my father) has a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. :hu

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought of you when my DD in Arkansas told me that granddaughter #1 in 3rd grade is be accelerated into a gifted and talented program there.

I find it odd tho - When they lived in Cupertino last year, she absolutely struggled to keep up with her peers. (Apple HQTRS is in Cupertino which is in the heart of Silicon Valley).

Granddaughter has gone to 5 schools in her 4 years of education (kindergarten thru 3rd). And no they are not military - they move alot.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Third grade is the leveling grade. So often children come to school with a lot of family support, educational attention in early years and experiences that make them seem brilliant students. Others have fewer experiences, less family intervention in educational areas or are slower to mature. It is usually third grade where the early learners and the late beginners meet.

From there the student's own abilities determine how they do in school. Many students that started out way ahead level out and become simply wonderfully good students, while the inner light brightens in some of those poor or average students and the find their unquenchable thirst for learning.

Certainly, the more preparation at home, the easier school is and truly bright children can take flight, but brilliant students can be slow starters in the lower grades. That might explain -- in part -- why your granddaughter is doing well now.

Of course, it could also be that the top students at your granddaughter's new school are behind the top students at her prior school. School expectations vary from district to district (and school to school in a district) which is one reason Common Core sounds so appealing to many parents and educators.

I swear I saw that light brighten in Todd H's eyes the instant he realized what learning was all about. It was three days after Easter vacation near the end of third grade. Once he figured it out, he went from a struggling reader to the top of the rest of his classes.

Latest posts