another pesky cucumber ?

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was planning another round of cucumbers this year. Only I hit 1 problem, I can't find my seeds. While at the store they still have several different types of cucumber seeds, but I can't tell if they are picklers or regular. Is there a way I can tell, they all say preserve by pickling. I don't want to go thru all the work of planting and pickling only to get a yucky mush.

TIA

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cucumbers of all kinds can be still pickled. Depends on the recipe you choose, brine time, raw packed, etc. Bread and Butter pickles are often softer (and larger), than say regular dill pickles. Pickle Crisp will help keep them firmer, or Alum powder, although perhaps not used as much as it once was.

I'm surprised that there isn't any hint on the seed package of what kind they are.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a list of "Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners" from Cornell University.

From the names on the packets and the cucumber list, you should be able to identify whether they are considered slicing or pickling cucumbers. Often, the packets will say, "Best if used when the fruit is 4 to 6 inches." Or, something like that - indicating the usual smaller size of pickling cukes.

Boston Pickling is a popular variety.

Steve

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hummmm, I wonder if I missed it when I was looking over the packets. When we were in the store yesterday the seeds were gone. :hit When I talked to my mom she said she has a few cuke seeds left over and she would send them to me.

That listing is wonderful. I was trying to google cucumber types when I got home from the store and didn't find anything nearly that nice. It will be an asset when getting everything in line for next years garden. Yeppers, I'm already planning next years garden.

Raindance

Leafing Out
Reaction score
From what I've gathered (from experience and research), you can pickle cucumbers that are for fresh eating, and eat fresh cucumbers that are for pickling. I just grow picklers and eat 'em fresh. :p

Latest posts