Another pie filling question...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
I have been on the hunt for fresh lard to use for pie crust. lard that is NOT homogenized (like all of it is in the grocery store) is supposed to actually have nutritional benefits AND make the most perfect flaky pie crust. I haven't yet found a source.
Have you tried a small local locker? Although with deer season here, extra fat will be used in deer sausage.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the last couple of years we have been ordering pasture raised pigs. The meat is wonderful, and we get a nice jar of lard! I enjoy using it throughout the year. I must tell you I prefer my pie crust with the regular shortening. I add a couple TBS of vinegar to the crust, in place of some of the water. Makes a nice, flaky crust...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
I have been on the hunt for fresh lard to use for pie crust. lard that is NOT homogenized (like all of it is in the grocery store) is supposed to actually have nutritional benefits AND make the most perfect flaky pie crust. I haven't yet found a source.
I saw some in my grocery store today along with chitterlings, marrow bones, etc. It was packaged as rendered pork fat and as suet. I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't been looking for dog bones.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandmother, mother and now my wife, uses saved bacon fat as well as rendered chicken, duck and goose fat in cooking / baking . :drool

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I just sprinkle a tablespoon or so of flour over the apples (or whatever) before putting the top pastry on. It magically distributes throughout the filling while baking. No lumps.
I'm definitely gonna try that then. :)

BJ, you can get leaf fat, which is the lard off of the kidney area of a pig. This is the perfect time of year to ask your local butcher shop about it since most folks are bringing their hogs in for processing right now and hardly anyone has the good sense to keep and use it. I need to stop in at mine too. I've been wanting to get some for soapmaking. The leaf fat is the best and makes pure white lard for baking that has no meat scent to it at all after it has been rendered. Here's a good blog post I found on it a couple years ago... That's how our great-grandmas made their pies. :)

Lesa, I make a similar pie crust called "German No-Fail Pie Crust" that has one egg and a tbsp of white vinegar in it. I get so many compliments on that crust and further requests for pies, so I've had to quit making it...LOL. Actually, I did finally get the hang of making a simple pie crust come out nice and flaky, just by chilling all of the ingredients first and throwing open the windows to get the kitchen cool. Warm shortening/lard will ruin a pie crust for sure.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reporting back... Got all the apples done! Several batches of pie filling and applesauce. The pie filling came out great! I made a pie using it, and just added the flour to the top of the apple mixture, before putting on the top crust. Worked perfectly. You do no need any of the liquid in the canned filling. The filling is a little mushy- not quite as good as fresh. But, really, really good and well worth making! Thanks for all the tips!

Latest posts