Another 'What is it?'

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This plant is so prolific, I'm thinking I should be posting this in "Weeds."
It gets a pink flower and grows from a long narrow bulb (maybe 3 inches.) I'm going from memory, and it isn't that good.

DSCF5234.jpg

This is actually in a prominent flower bed along a very visible side of the house. Am I showing off something good, or weeds?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those look like Four O'Clocks to me. From your description I'm assuming that's what they are. They are pretty invasive and they'll grow just about anywhere. They're pretty flowers and are a good low maintenance perennial.

I've also heard them called the "marvel of peru"

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I Googled Four O'Clocks and have to agree on the name and that they are invasive. Fortunately, they are in a confined area. Thank you so much for your help.

Edited: Can't spell Google...

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Four o'clocks grow from a long narrow bulb? I have only grown them from seed. My first thought when I saw the pic was four o'clocks though.

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
aquarose said:
Four o'clocks grow from a long narrow bulb? I have only grown them from seed. My first thought when I saw the pic was four o'clocks though.
I have to point to the "from memory" part. I was ripping a lot of stuff out trying to make room for something else, last fall. Something that came out had a long tuber like part which I thought was from this plant. But I have been known to be wrong at least once.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
whatnow? said:
aquarose said:
I have to point to the "from memory" part. I was ripping a lot of stuff out trying to make room for something else, last fall. Something that came out had a long tuber like part which I thought was from this plant. But I have been known to be wrong at least once.
Your memory isn't that bad.

Four O'clocks can be started from seed, then they do form long narrow tubers, which is one of the reasons it's so hard to get rid of them. If you leave the smallest piece in the ground then you are for sure to have them come back next year. Well that, and they are expert at reseeding themselves.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love my Four O' Clocks!! They are very draught tolerant! I actually planted some "on purpose" this year. A new type that has light green leaves and bright pink flowers. I forgot what they are called now.

But, they are sure in the catagory of weeds once established!
Gardening.gif