Ants in my compost bin

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They've built a mound on the side that extends to the inside as well.

Should I get rid of them? And if so, is there something that will kill the ants only and leave my other (beneficial) bugs alone?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I would use ant bait to kill them. I don't like poisons, but ants are hard to deal with! I would place it away for your compost but near there nest. Good luck.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Boiling water does seem to work. I had never tried it before this year and had to sacrifice a few spinach plants but it got rid of the ants.

I have also used a borax/sugar paste spread on a piece of cardboard that seemed to work. Never really know for sure but the ants dissappeared. Whether it killed them or they just moved on I don't really know. 1 part borax-1 part sugar-add just enough water to make a thick paste and spread it on something-old jar lid, board, etc. Place it near the nest and wait. Good luck! :)

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can also put a hefty squirt of dish soap in a gallon of water then slowly pour the whole thing down into the main hole(s) of it. You can literally watch them writhe in pain (MUHAHAHAW!)

Latest posts