Any horse lovers watch Martin Clunes "Heavy Horses"?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure I got the title right, but that's close anyway.
It's a public television program. Martin Clunes (Doc Martin actor) owns 2 two year old Clydesdales and sent them to Hoof Camp to be trained to harness. He also spent some time in other countries on farms where they use working draft horses.
It was a beautiful production, and I like Clunes even more because he's a horse lover.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohh that sounds good! I think we watched every episode of Doc Martin, loved his sarcastic comments in that. We'll have to look for it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey you guys! Don't hijack this to some Doc Martin topic, lol! At least not on the first page....sheesh!

I was talking about Martin Clunes making a movie about DRAFT HORSES.

It was great. Look for that first, then you can watch him on Doc Martin the series. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On YouTube, you may need to work your way thru in parts. Check the sidebar there. This is (maybe) part 1/5.
digitS'

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to Hijack but a big battle is going on in NYC over horses working in the city. Some people believe making a horse pull a carriage in NYC is animal abuse. Every day the battle is in the news. Carriage drivers claim their horses are well taken care of, heated stable, good food, vet checks. The horses are gotten from the amish, bred to pull carriages. The carriages only travel in Central Park, where speed limit is very slow. The animal lovers believe horses should not work, but live on a farm somewhere outside the city. Do you think horses should be in city working?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love animals and think they should get good care. Animal activists go too far. I lost faith in them when I started seeing bill boards, in an area where fishing provides jobs for many, about the poor fish being captured in nets. What would happen to all of the farm animals if everyone stopped eating meat? What happens to those expensive to feed horses if they can't work? Should I stop riding my horses? These ridiculous people have no concept of farm life. Most animals need a purpose in life too. I took a ride in Central Park and hope to get to do it again. Ridiculous people.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horses are happy when they have a job, like dogs, and other trained animals that perform services. Yes I think horses should continue to pull carriages, there should continue to be mounted police and horses on farms should earn their keep.

I was kidding about the thread hijacking NYboy, it's all good. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
YOU stole me line! They are happier with a job and a mission in life. Thanks for posting the series bc I've dabbled with driving, but I'm getting serious about it. My Amish farrier also trains riding and driving. I'm saving up to have him train my 15.2hh 8yo QH, "Buster Brown" to drive. I know how to train the very basics, but HE knows how to train him to be reliable and safe, and that's what I'm looking for. I don't want to break up my herd of 3, so I'm considering some kind of schedule where Bauster spend 3 days at a time and then comes home. It's a one hour haul but ANY extra trailering is just good practice for your horse and will pay off in the future. Buster has a great temperament and I am the 2nd owner, the rescue being the first, where he was dropped with his mother as a foal, and they gelding him.
RE: NYC, I thought this was a lost cause with Deblassio, but he's got such a black eye with the police department that he may back off of some of his liberal pet peeves, like getting rid of the carraiges.

Latest posts