Any ideas on attracting bees?

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We seem to have a shortage of bees in our area. We are on the high plains in Colorado. The only thing that grows naturally is prairie grass and pine trees. I'm afraid we might have to get a hive and grow bees.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was going to suggest getting a hive..

but fruit trees attract bees.. and I believe other fruits as well .. like strawberries..

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You might want to look into Mason bees. They don't produce honey but they do all the pollinating like honey bees do.

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have read that bees are attracted to blue flowers. The herb, 'Borage' has blue flowers and is known to attract bees. I'm going to be planting Borage throughout my garden.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

Alfalfa is a good perennial to grow for bees.

Here is a list of insecticides that kills bees:

Acephate
Aldicarb G
Aldrin
Aminocarb
Azinphos-ethyl
Azinphos-methyl
Bendiocarb
Calcium arsenate
Carbaryl 50% WP, D
Carbofuran F
Carbophenothion 20 EC, D
Carbosulfan
Chlorpyrifos
Crotoxyphos
Cypermethrin 10 EC
Decamethrin 20 EC
Deltamethrin
Diazinon
Dicapthon
Dichlorvos 100 EC
Dicrotophos
Dieldrin
Dimethoate 30 EC
Dinoseb
DDVP 100 EC
DNOC
EPN
Etrimphos
Lead arsenate
Malathion D
Methamidophos
Methidathion
Methiocarb
Methomyl
Mevinphos
Monocrotophos 36
Fenamiphos
Fenitrothion
Fensulfothion
Fenthion
Fenvalerate
Flucythrinate
Formothion
Gamma-HCH
Heptachlor
Heptenophos
Isobenzan WSC
Naled D, WP
Omethoate
Oxydementon-methyl 25 EC
Parathion
Parathion-methyl
Permethrin
Phenthoate
Phosmet
Phosphamidon 100 EC
Phorate
Phoxim
Permethrin 25 EC
Pirimiphos-ethyl
Pirimiphos-methyl
Propoxur
Quinalphos 25 EC
Resmethrin
Sulfotep
Sulprofos
Sumithion 50 EC
Tetrachlorvinphos
Thiometon 25 EC
Thionazin
Triazophos
Vamidothion

It is really scary! I think we have gone overboard in this world of ours.

Take care, Ron

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got something for you that grows great in my area of Colorado...Japanese Spirea!

I have 5 plants in my garden and every late Summer when the it flowers it is COVERED in bees. I counted 5 complete different species last year from little tiny silver and black striped bees to huge bumble bees. I even had leaf cutter bees...unfortunately they were attacking the honey bees...but yeah...lots of bees.

Sorry I don't have better pictures, but this should give you the idea.
1002766xa1.jpg

1002761hp2.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
As gardeners rather than farmers, here's something to keep in mind: "Higher bee diversity and abundance occurs when gardens have a rich assortment of bee plants. It also appears that bees remain longer in a garden if plant diversity is high."

Gardening for Bees - Seasonal Recommended Plant Lists, UCBerkeley A great list of plants for our yards and gardens.

And, tolerate some weeds around your gardens. Okay, they could be in your neighbor's yard :rolleyes:.

I can certainly attest to the bee attraction of the mints of every sort and those plants that have flowers in umbels. Sweet fennel and Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot) are greatly appreciated by the bees in and around my garden. These plants are in the Apiaceae family. I found the word "Apiaceae" in an etymological dictionary: "derived from the Classical Latin word apis (bee . . .)" . . . of course!!

And, here is a list close to home: Bee Benefit Plants, CSU Master Gardeners

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just thought I'd come back to this very important subject and explain what I meant by saying, "As gardeners rather than farmers."

The horticulturalists talking about diversity brought to mind the fact that bees may have to fly for miles to find diversity in farming environment. And, perhaps in yours as well Beak, with only "prairie grass and pine trees."

On that UC Berkeley webpage however, note that having attractant plants in, at least, 1 square meter, area made a large amount of difference. Where there was only a tiny "spot" of something flowering that the bees appreciated, the flowers went ignored by our bee friends, for the most part.

It shouldn't take a huge area to bring in the bees but I can just imagine a patch of beebalm, ammi major, salvia and allyssum absolutely aswarm on a warm Summer day :).
Coming back today also gives me the opportunity to use these smilies: :rainbow-sun :bee

;) Steve's digits

Latest posts