Any Intrest in a Seed Train?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was digging around in old threads and ran across the seed train thread. I will post the link so ya'll can look at it.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/seed-train-like-on-byc.2441/

The first post was February 2009 and the last post was October 2012. It sorta fizzled out. I went over to BYC where the idea came from and there were several seed train threads. There were rules posted, it seemed that sometimes people didn't send the seeds promised and there was complaints to the mods and hurt feelings. Or at least that was the impression that I got.

So what I am wondering is would there be any interest in a seed train? And would ya'll want to just pick up on the old seed train thread on page 64 or start a new seed train for 2014? Let's have some discussion on this. I think it would be fun, planting season is coming soon!

These are the rules as posted by Msbear on BYC, who also "borrowed" them.

Rules:

1.) Person A offers a packet of seeds. Packet can contain any number, but please try to send at least 6. Person B likes what is offered and says "I'll take those and in turn offer..." Person C likes those and offers another packet of seeds.

2.) To qualify for accepting an offer, you need to post what you are offering in return in the same post.

3.) When each trade is posted, please pm or email the person who offered the seeds and work out the shipping arrangements.

4.) The person receiving the seeds will pay no shipping because the person who sends them will have received their seeds without paying shipping as well. Shipping should be less on these than on the egg swaps, because the weight and packaging is so much less. This will keep the thread moving along without a lot of complications.

5.) Try to be as specific as possible about the seeds. If you know the zones where they grow, list 'em. If you know for a fact the seeds grew in your garden last year, list where you are

6) Seeds do not need to be heritage/heirloom/home-grown. If you have extra seeds from a seed order, go ahead and offer 'em.

(thanks to Shelleyd2008, since I stole her wording for the rules from the Crazy Quail / Gamebird Swap )

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. I also think we should start a fresh one. The last one was going pretty strong and just sort of fizzled out. I think that many of the regular participants in the old train haven't posted for a pretty long time. Thanks for bringing this up again Bay. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If we can get some more people interested, I'll start a new seed train thread!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've got more people active on the forum than there was when we did this in the past. I think it will be fun and probably move quickly.

On the rules, I particularly agree with the part about being a little specific about the seeds. I've had a couple of people send me old seeds that didn't germinate or things that were saved from veggies that easily cross and didn't come out true (i.e. squash.) It would be nice if they'd at least put the year that's on the seed pack or year saved from their own garden, if they know it.

A new thread would be great! :)

ETA: This will force me to get out my stash and start digging through it. I've barely had time to look at a seed catalog yet this year or considered what I'm doing in the garden this summer! :p

Latest posts