Any one with potatoe Knowlegde. how much to hill?

joann

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It been 6 week, and my potatoes are still going like weed. I have hilled them about 16 inches in boxes and know they are over a foot tall again. Is their a problem if i keep hilling them. Wood for boxes is free, chick poo is free and top soil at walmart couple of bucks. the plants keep getting flower on top. How do i know if I am truely growing potatoes?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You have to have faith until, oh, August or so. Then dig around in the dirt a little, there should be some potatoes there although they may be small.

Sounds like you hilled them plenty already. The real question is going to be, how many potatoes can your family eat before they start complaining? And did you plant thin-skinned salad type potatoes or keepers? 'Cause there's only so much you can use at once for potato salad and potato soup and olive oil-marinated potatoes in jars and frozen pre-sliced for the microwave...

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even I, the one who has no problem "checking" on my veggies :rolleyes: :D if I'm curious, go on faith once potatoes are growing.

I hope you have a bumper crop! :coolsun

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
The real question is going to be, how many potatoes can your family eat before they start complaining? And did you plant thin-skinned salad type potatoes or keepers? 'Cause there's only so much you can use at once for potato salad and potato soup and olive oil-marinated potatoes in jars and frozen pre-sliced for the microwave...
O'brians, hash browns, chile fries, flavored wedges, veggie soup, stew, 2ce baked potatoes with cheddar, sour cream and chives, baked potatoes, au gratins, potato pancakes, French fries, on the grill, mashed, oven roasted......and that's just the start around here! :D

Latest posts