Any Secrets For Mini Roses?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone know the secret to miniature roses? I love roses and have tryed many times in winter with them. They always look healthy and flowering when I buy them. None have lasted more then a week or 2. Time after time they wilt and die. I gave them plently of light and water. After many attempts I gave up on them. Someone just gave me one for the holidays, I know it's time will be short!! Can roses be grown inside?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's possible that you over watered them. Mini roses are pretty tough and I've had a few gifted to me that ended up in the garden. They do need plenty of light, and don't fertilize at all. I don't know where you are ,but it shouldn't be planted outside until after your last frost date. The ones from florists are grown in a hothouse ( obviously) so they'd be too tender for out doors just about anywhere until spring.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder about drainage. You could be over-watering unintentionally. Many of the miniature roses I see for sale have these nice decorative foil wraps around them. Those will hold water and keep the soil from drying enough before you water it again. The top might feel dry but the bottom of the pot could very easily be very wet.

Just a thought. I haven't had any luck with anything lately since our Siamese chew all the indoor plants so unless its in the utility room with the seedling starters under the grow light (where the door is always shut) they are demolished in an evening.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
I haven't had any luck with anything lately since our Siamese chew all the indoor plants so unless its in the utility room with the seedling starters under the grow light (where the door is always shut) they are demolished in an evening.
Maybe you could grow your cats a pot of their own grass?

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had my first success with a mini rose this year. I received it for valentines and once it kind of shed its leaves I put it in an 18" pot. It got to stay inside until spring when it went out. I've just moved it to the porch and will move it to the bathroom at Christmas. I believe it was the big pot that made the difference for mine. I watered mine like crazy, but the pot has holes on the bottom so excess went to the ground. I now have a tray on the bottom and only water the tray.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might try epsom salts. When my daughters started to wilt, mix epsom salt w/water, in a week, they are dark green leaves again.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe you could grow your cats a pot of their own grass?
I dont think I could grow enough grass fast enough.

And I didn't think about the roots being compacted. Might help to repot it.

Shiloh Acres

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have one in the little nursery pot right now.

Since it's wintertime, I don't intend to repot it until spring as long as I can keep it healthy. I usually use the foil paper, or a deep saucer, and water it well, letting it sit in the water long enough to soak it up if the soil is poorer. Maybe a couple of hours at most. Then I make sure it can drain well and don't water it again until the pot feels light enough (at current temps here that's about every 5 days?). I have it in a bright east window but the neawest leaves are coming paler, so I know it's not getting enough light. My houseplants all need a spa treatment, so I've cleared a wall in my warmest room for the big plastic shelf. I've got plastic trays for draining and grow lights and I'll make sure they have good humidity.

I LOVE mini roses. I lost most of my plants from moving (California border confiscated everything and destroyed it when I moved there) so I just have one. I'll be putting it in a nice big clay pot in spring and letting it stay outside till temps drop in the fall. Rainwater usually does well in a big pot like that, it used to rain on mine about every other day. Have to watch that the roots don't go through the drainage into the ground under those conditions, they grew so well. The plants get quite large, actually ... It's just the leaves and flowers that are small. They tend to hold foliage MUCH better for me than full sized roses, and be more disease resistant.

I hope yours does well. I'd agree, you may be overwatering it. They do seem to appreciate misting in the winter indoors though. :). Good luck with it!

Luvsroses

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think theyre happiest outdoors in the ground, I couldnt make mine do anything inside, maybe not enough direct light...anyway they went berserk once I put them in the ground in full sun, or at least morning sun.

Latest posts