Any Secrets to BIG Pumpkins?

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I bought some Burpee seeds for those Giant Pumpkins and planted some of them. I now have two good healthy plants growing next to each other. I am planning on cutting the smaller one out. I planted them in compost, and I have been builing up a small mound of compost, banana peels, and grass clippings around the plants.

They are doing good, but do you have secrets to growing big pumpkins?

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lots and lots of water and composted manure.

Mulch the soil to keep it moist.

They need hot weather and water.
Good luck!

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You also need to remove all but one or two pumpkins from each plant, I believe. This is so all the energy goes into those few pumpkins. We never bother with this step, and usually get 75 - 80 pound pumpkins.

Also, if you go for the really giant ones, they tend to rot on the bottom, where they rest on the ground. The pros have ways to minimize this, but it is always a concern. If you Google giant pumpkins, I bet you'll find info. YOur local extension office can probably help, too.

Remember, growing really huge pumpkins is cool, but if you can't get them out of the field, it's not much fun. Even with the ones we grow, it's hard to move them - pumpkins don't have much to grab onto! We roll them (one at a time) onto an old blanket or a tarp and lift that. We put it into a wheelbarrow, wheel it to the pickup, and hoist it in. Reverse the process to unload. Even a 70 pound pumpkin is huge to most kids!

good luck!

PennyG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have never grown pumpkins myself(not enough room), but i have been told by an older farmer and have aslo read on another Forum i belong too, to feed them milk :)
All of the vitamins and everything else in it, the plants LOVE milk and thrive on it

Here is a little snipet for you, :D:D:D

milk contains protein
, which is used by the plant as a source of nitrogen
Also, Milk is a good source of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, and zinc...
all important trace minerals.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my grandfather used to inject them with milk, I could never get it in so I just water with powdered milk a couple times. Also only allow one pumpkin on the vine.

Latest posts