Any suggestions for @##$!!! bindweed ?!!!

Reaction score
Bindweed is pernicious stuff, ain't it? I've got it growing on my garden fence..the shaded side, mostly. I cut it when I find it and pull up as much root as I can. As soon as I can get a bottle of propane, I'm going to try the flame method all around the fence. Johnson grass is actually my main problem...that stuff can grow from the merest clump of rhizome cells.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Please don't mention the propane idea to my husband....

He'd be out there doing the whole lawn with a flame thrower if he could. :rolleyes:

Happyfarmwife

Sprout
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
We have bindweed here something terrible. And we had goats. The bindweed is poisonous to animals and humans. My county extension office informed me of this when I called and asked what would happen if we accidentally ate some in our lettuce.

So I wouldn't count on goats to solve the problem. :(

We have it in our field, in our garden and our lawn! And we pull by hand, till and cover with cardboard and mulch heavily with straw and or dried grass clippings and it wins every year anyway! I hate the stuff.

If you find a good solution to this problem I am anxious to hear it!

Good topic!

Deborah

Happyfarmwife

Sprout
Reaction score
WeaselWrangler said:
Bindweed is pernicious stuff, ain't it? I've got it growing on my garden fence..the shaded side, mostly. I cut it when I find it and pull up as much root as I can. As soon as I can get a bottle of propane, I'm going to try the flame method all around the fence. Johnson grass is actually my main problem...that stuff can grow from the merest clump of rhizome cells.
Oh I had forgotten about this! My husband is going to try it this year. I hope it works. He will probably end up torching half the acreage though. Give him a weedeater and he will weedeat the entire place. I can see the scorched landscape now. Everything that resembles a weed will be smoking! lol

A note about the roundup. Our elderly neighbor used to plant his veggie garden and then every year we would see him out there with his roundup spraying the heck out of the bindweed between his plants! OOOOHHH made me sick to see that! ( Poor guy passed away from cancer last Easter.)
Guess what? He STILL had bindweed every year. With those roots I think it is a hopeless case myself.

Deborah

wyoweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just registered and just have to respond to this post. Boy that stuff has no region,just all of them! The prong horn antelope out here eats the stuff like candy. So the only place you find it is in your yard where they won't venture. I swear the stuff doesn't need sunlight to grow. Tougher than Kudzo! In miniature form. Do you think we could graft some thing onto it? Boy would that be a tough plant!
I'd still take bind weed over this stupid crab grass! I've dug down over 2 feet and still had crab grass ryzomes(sp) Round up on either hasn't yielded me good results. So I cut down to ! flower bed. Can't do without at least 1. Everything else is shrubs,black plastic and mulch. Seems to be working for me. Good thing to. All my time is taken up pulling weeds in my 1 remaining flower bed!:barnie

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I feel for you all!!!! I never minded the stuff till I started to garden. My dad HATES it when people plants morning glories, cause he says "thats a noxious weed!" He knows it is different, but he hates the sight of it!

I just planted potatoes in our old drainage ditch, (to capture rain water), and today I was out there checking on it, an GUESS WHAT???

Somone must have been using a shovel, digging around and cutting up a bunch of bindweed roots, they are coming up everywhere!! Oh, yeah, that was me.... Shoulda done the no dig thing.... :hide

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess the silver lining is that at least it isn't full of thorns and thistles... now that would be a scary thing to deal with!

Latest posts