Any suggestions on how to arrange my garden?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to be putting in my winter garden in October (keep in mind I am in So. California). My space is about 25x15 and is in full sun. I am thinking of putting a row of snow peas trellised along the back (the long way). In front of that I was thinking of putting broccoli on one side with swiss chard on the other. Then in front of that would be cabbage and spinach, then brown onion and lettuce, then carrots and red onion. So I would end up with one long row of peas in the back of the garden and then shorter rows in two columns in the rest of the space.

I also have space on either side of my front walkway where I was thinking of putting green arrow peas on one side and brussels sprouts on the other. The side the brussels sprouts would be on is partial shade, but will get more sun in the winter than it does right now since the tree shading it will be losing its leaves.

I have a tree ring where we have a plum tree in the front and I was thinking of putting some garlic in there.

I would love to hear suggestions on a better way to arrange things since this is the first time I will be planting these things and I really have no idea how it will go. I would also like to know what things I should plant in succession so that I'm not picking it all at once. I figure I should do the carrots that way, but how about the other things? Thanks!

Here is a picture of the garden space as it looked before any planting earlier this year:

DSCF0007a-1.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't see anything wrong with the plan, it sounds good. I am wondering if you would be happier with your carrot harvest, if you made a mound of soil for them to grow in. I had much better luck with my root crops, when I tried that. You may be okay- not sure how loose your Ca. dirt is...It looks like a beautiful spot for a garden! I sure am jealous- I am presently planning on filling my garden with snow! Enjoy!

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am thinking of putting a row of snow peas trellised along the back (the long way). In front of that I was thinking of putting broccoli on one side with swiss chard on the other. Then in front of that would be cabbage and spinach, then brown onion and lettuce, then carrots and red onion. So I would end up with one long row of peas in the back of the garden and then shorter rows in two columns in the rest of the space.
I would do sucsession planting with the peas, cabbage, lettuce, and carrots. Because of our tastes I don't know about swiss chard or spinach.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch...I just bought the book you recommended for 5.47 on ebay. there are 2 more at this price left there at buy it now. you will have to scroll down a bit the expensive ones seem to be listed first. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm useless being on the east coast... I'm finally getting my dates together now for fall, and I'm already a week or 2 behind because I REFUSE to accept fall is around the corner. One of my stubborn, summer is my favorite season ever, things!

I do think its a GREAT idea to get yourself a good handy gardening book that sticks to your Zone and area. A book you can always have on hand that specifies Southern Cal. :)

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Are you planing on planting everything in long rows?

You can plant a lot more in square or block plantings.

I have about 300 carrots growing in a 3x2 foot space, just for an idea.

You can kind of see what I did with my garden this year here
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25175

And check out the newest edition of Square-foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.

Good luck! :)

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am thinking of having a couple long rows along the back for the snow peas that would be about 17x2. The others would be planted in areas about 7x2. The carrots will probably be in a raised box to give them better soil to work their way into since our soil is pretty hard. The rest will just be straight in the ground.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can't help you. Every season I attempt to be organized and know where I planted what but I feel I get rushed trying to minimize the "help" or destruction of the two and three year old. I usually plant stuff and then when things don't germinate or the ducks/dogs or sun gets them I plant something else in its place. I like the leaf lettuce so I can just broadcast sow and then like the carrots and beets I plant thick so I can have baby carrots/beets.

Latest posts