Any suggestions on keeping raccoons out of sweetcorn?

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last year we had a nice little crop of sweetcorn and the raccoons just destroyed it. We never caught them in the act, but they sure ate well. :rant
We did set live traps and naturally they avoided them. Any other ways to prevent them.
We do have a dog and birds that free range, so don't really want to put out poison that they could get to either.
I know it may be wishful thinking, but sure hope someone has a sure fire way to keep them varmets out of my garden!
Christie :tools

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Electric fencing is the most commonly used method. One (or, better, two) wire(s) at the appropriate height(s), like 4" and 12", are reputed to be about 95% successful at repelling raccoons, provided the fence is set up correctly, you don't let it ground out (meaning: mow real close under it!) and it is charged to 3-5,000 volts (which is a bit higher than you would usually use for livestock).

You can get a portable charger that runs on a 12v battery and use wire and cheap plastic step-in posts, just set it up BEFORE the corn is getting ripe :)

I have also heard that planting a sea of pumpkins or winter squash all around the corn patch "more or less" repels raccoons, but don't know anyone who's actually tried it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A great way to keep raccoons out of corn and some other places they love to go is to plant cucumbers or other Curcubits that have those tiny little hairs all over the leaves and stems.

Raccoons really don't enjoy stepping on them and we've had pretty good success in using them around our corn. And the corn acts as a great support for the vining cucumbers while saving space in the garden and working as a living mulch for the corn.

Good luck

Carlos

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have raccoons in the sweet corn every year. It is really a RACE to see who gets the ripe corn first. Almost literally, a race . . .

What I cannot do is allow ripe corn to stand in the garden. Just can't do it. The coons want nice ripe corn and leaving it from Friday to Friday, say, just doesn't work. I've got to be out there almost daily squeezing the ears :p and deciding which ones to take. I'd rather have the corn in my fridge than to find it shredded. Of course, I eat corn often during the season :).

It may be that there's less pressure on my corn patch than in other gardens. There's about 10 acres of sweet corn almost directly across the road. And, it is later in the season rather than early, when the coons start to raiding.

In my garden, they always get a few ears but I get the great most of it. ;)

Steve

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Being an old trapper....I'd "catch em" and eliminate the the problem, permanently. They are real easy to lure into a dirt hole set.

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We trap them, then carry them down to a wildlife refuge area and let them go (I know - they just find their way back). But they're well fed before we dump them - trap's baited with vanilla wafers and peanut butter. :lol:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard about cukes helping with this. You also could use a good dog by your corn patch! ;)

I've had a visit from exactly one coon here...and this country abounds with them. He visited, my 7 mo. old lab mix greeted him....and left him lying dead on the back porch as a gift for Mom. :cool:

KevsFarm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Boggybranch..never heard of a deep hole set, kinda have an idea.How does this work..?

Latest posts