any sweet potato experts out there?

thepone

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just received my sweet potato starts from Johnnys, and looking past the fact that they look pretty sad, I'm wondering how long I should keep them on the counter vs. planting them and trying to keep them alive through our last frost date (usually 1st week of June). Also, do I plant them just like any other seedling adding the mound factor? I plan on using black weed tarp in their row and just cutting them in. I have lots of experience with potatoes but not so much with the sweets obviously. Thanks!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Are they wrapped in anything? I have kept mine wrapped in newpaper and dampened by water for 2-3 weeks with out a problem. You can also put a touch of Miracle Grow in the water but just barely enough to see a change in color. Remember you don't want to drown them just keep them wet.

I am assuming that there is about a 4-6 in "stem" on the plant before you get to leaves? The way that I plant mine ispulling up a mound that is about 14-16 inches high and then smoothing out the top. take a stick that is about a foot long and use it to push the stem into the ground as far as you can (up to the leaves). you need to space them out about every 6-8 inches. Not sure about the paper but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have also always kept mine trimmed so they are not any wider than the mound is so to keep focus on root growth not leave growth.

Good Luck !

thepone

Sprout
Reaction score
Yes, they came with moss which I'm assuming at some point in the shipping process was wet. I kept the moss with the bunches, wrapped them in cheese-cloth and have them in a tall glass on the counter with just enough water to soak the moss/cc. Do you think that'll be OK? Thanks for the planting tips too!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You are headed down the right track. You just want to keep them wet not drown them. I wouldn't keep them in direct sun (picture window) but not in the dark either. The counter is probably just fine. You can also pull up extra dirt in them as they start to grow in height.

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is any difference in growing sweet vs. regular potatoes? Mine have started to run, is there anything I need to do? My mom says they prefer the hot weather, but never said how or what I should be doing to them and when they are ready to harvest.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
And since we are trying to attract sweet potato experts, can I pipe in a question, too?

Seems like I read somewhere that they are perennials. Is that true?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think that depends upon where you live, Cassandra.

Here sweet potatoes will not winter over, no matter how much you baby them.

(What an attractive avatar!) :)

Latest posts