Any tips on planting Soybeans?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been trying and trying to get my soybeans to sprout...finally at the nursery this morning I found some starts so I picked up 4. I am so happy!
Now I gotta figure out how to treat them right so they do well and produce lots of yummy pods :)

Any tips for me I have never grown them before. I have Glycine max 'Butterbeans'.

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
yes, yes what are the secrets to growing soy beans? I started some from seed and transplanted them into the boxes in April but they only grew about 8inches tall and had just a few pods on them. I made one tiny little harvest and boiled them in water with salt and they tasted great but I was hoping for so much more.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Keeping the soil evenly moist and never soggy is one of the best things you can do to help soybeans. They are very susceptible to mildew and disease from wet leaves so make sure you keep them mildly dry and in full sun.

If they are inoculated prior to planting this will help grow a strong root system and may eliminate the need to fertilize. It is important to inoculate the seeds if they have never been planted in the garden before. Also a light nitrogen fertilizer prior to planting may also help.

Good luck!

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Keeping the soil evenly moist and never soggy is one of the best things you can do to help soybeans. They are very susceptible to mildew and disease from wet leaves so make sure you keep them mildly dry and in full sun.

If they are inoculated prior to planting this will help grow a strong root system and may eliminate the need to fertilize. It is important to inoculate the seeds if they have never been planted in the garden before. Also a light nitrogen fertilizer prior to planting may also help.

Good luck!
Thank you OaklandCity Farmer!!

Latest posts