Any uses for sheep fleece?

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had my sheep sheared yesterday and was wondering if the garbage fleece (leg and belly fleece) could have some use in my garden? Could it be used as mulch or added to my compost?

wooden_pony

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sunnychooks said:
I had my sheep sheared yesterday and was wondering if the garbage fleece (leg and belly fleece) could have some use in my garden? Could it be used as mulch or added to my compost?
You could always put it in a mesh bag, like the white ones you can buy for socks and elicate small item to wash them in. Hang it in those bags for the birds to use as liner for thier nests. That is what we use to do.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Horsehair doesn't compost all that fast but it does compost; I'm sure fleece would too, esp. if it's the ucky stuff with mud and manure crusted into it. If you leave it out as mulch, I expect it will get used for birds' and mousies' nests, but that's not such a bad thing. I wonder whether it would make good stuffing for the bottommost layer of pots and containers, to allow drainage while keeping the soil in? Certainly never tried it myself, though.

Cool that you have sheep, though :)

Pat

Latest posts