Anybody cook their compost?

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I was first learning, I was taught that the best starter soil should be heated up to kill any weed seeds that might be in it before planting in it. Does composting kill the weed seeds? Does anyone have an outdoor kiln to cook their compost before using it? Is this a silly question? Please shed some insight on this small mystery of mine - cause if I could never buy starter soil again, I would be one happy duckie!

Best to all~

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Composting "can" kill weed seeds. Whether composting DOES kill 'em is another matter entirely. I think it is unwise for a home gardener to assume their pile will be heated up so well and so *uniformly* that all weed seeds will be killed. Thus, I would strongly recommend you not put really obnoxious weeds in the compost if they may have viable seeds.

You can heat-treat compost in your oven if you don't mind the smell. Bear in mind this kills most of the beneficial stuff as well as most of the nonbeneficial.

Personally I have had such better results with commercial starting mix, and use so little of it, I do not see me ever going over to compost-based medium for starting seeds, unless civilization comes totally crashing down.

If you DO want to use compost, I suggest you use your very best, oldest, darkest, crumbliest stuff, and screen it very thoroughly so it is only the fine-textured stuff you're using. And be extra careful vs damping-off and overwatering.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never, in my life, bought seed starter mix...until this year. I have always tried to "blend" my own. I make a LOT of compost every year and have tried several different formulas that didn't require purchasing ingredients (if you gotta purchase ingredients, why not just buy the pe-mix?). I was astonished at the difference. Pre-packaged seed starter mix is, about, the only "luxury" item I won't be doing without, from now own. I still can't believe the difference in germination and growth rates. I'm sure some have "hit" on a great homemade mixture.....but the formula has eluded me.

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow, you guys make me feel a lot better! I thought I was missing some simple point about composting somewhere along the line. I agree with you Boggy, somewhere, SOMEONE must have the perfect recipe for compost, but I don't know it either! Well, I'll keep buying potting soil to start seeds and I'll keep composting, because there's plenty of use for that with the many projects going on outside all the time! You guys have a great summer and thanks for the advice!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
2ndtimearound said:
Wow, you guys make me feel a lot better! I thought I was missing some simple point about composting somewhere along the line. I agree with you Boggy, somewhere, SOMEONE must have the perfect recipe for compost, but I don't know it either! Well, I'll keep buying potting soil to start seeds and I'll keep composting, because there's plenty of use for that with the many projects going on outside all the time! You guys have a great summer and thanks for the advice!
Hahahaha....Making compost isn't my prob....it's makin a seed starter mix that I just can't seem to wrap my head around.

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Boy you said it all! The compost is great for amending the CLAY dirt in both of the big veggie gardens. But for staring seedlings inside, the starter mix or at least top soil works for me! I'm about to invest in more containers of assorted sizes, cause my milkweed is telling me it needs more room for it's roots and this year, the marigolds are going to be confined to containers so they don't take over anything else!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that all compost has viable weed seeds and probably also harbors damp off fungus that attacks the seedlings stems where they enter the soil.
Damp off is seldom a problem in the garden itself but is a major problem with seedlings in pots.
I stick to the sterile starter mix which is organic anyway.

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the sage advice hoodat, (no pun intended) I will stick to the starter soil.

I used to dig up soil from the yard, cook it in the oven, add some manure or peat and some vermiculite to lighten it and use that for potting soil. But since I've been using starter soil, I sure get better results. I'll just use the compost for filling holes in the yard and amending the clay soil in the veggie gardens. Thanks again for the advice.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess this would be sort of like cooking compost but not really....was wondering if I have done something good or bad at this point:

I have a long fenced in area that I used to pen my sheep this winter, approx. 10 X 65 ft. When the sheep were turned out, I spread their bedding/manure the length of this pen in preparation for plowing and planting corn and pumpkins there.

It occured to me afterwards that the tiller will get very tangled up in the hay during tillage. I had some extra old hay in the barn as we were cleaning it out and I decided to spread this in the same place and burn it all. I was hoping the burned manure/compost/hay will be good for the soil. Or...too much potash?

Can anyone tell me if I just committed a grave error in judgement or will I have some great soil in which to plant corn and pumpkins?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I guess this would be sort of like cooking compost but not really....was wondering if I have done something good or bad at this point:

I have a long fenced in area that I used to pen my sheep this winter, approx. 10 X 65 ft. When the sheep were turned out, I spread their bedding/manure the length of this pen in preparation for plowing and planting corn and pumpkins there.

It occured to me afterwards that the tiller will get very tangled up in the hay during tillage. I had some extra old hay in the barn as we were cleaning it out and I decided to spread this in the same place and burn it all. I was hoping the burned manure/compost/hay will be good for the soil. Or...too much potash?

Can anyone tell me if I just committed a grave error in judgement or will I have some great soil in which to plant corn and pumpkins?
I love the smell of burning sheep manure in the morning.:sick
I wish I was back out in the country where I can have a few animals. :bun